Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine wont kick on incline help!

dale0908

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
every time my car has sat on a hill inclining upwards, be it a driveway or the side of the road on an incline, the engine will never kick over, the ignition turns on and essentially nothing else. therefore I have to put the car in neutral and try my best to get the car to a flat surface, which is an immense pain as the brakes barely work and there's no power steering, it happens occasionally and I try and stay away from any inclines but its getting to be a pain in the ass so just wondering if any one else has this issue or knows why this happens?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
If you are saying the engine turns over but won't start, then you don't have enough fuel in the tank for the pump to pick up.

dale0908

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
If you are saying the engine turns over but won't start, then you don't have enough fuel in the tank for the pump to pick up.
the fuel has been and is always over half a tank which Is why I didn't understand. the ignition turns on, the battery is working but the egine doesn't start. not sure why

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
You have to be a little more specific ;) does the starter motor turn over the engine and no start OR is the starter motor not kicking over the motor...if its the later then it could be the safety switch on the trans try wriggling the gear lever when you turn to start or try to start in neutral, the switch contacts get worn/dirty over time and need a clean or replace the unit...assuming its an auto ;)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sounds like the neutral safety switch.

dale0908

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
You have to be a little more specific ;) does the starter motor turn over the engine and no start OR is the starter motor not kicking over the motor...if its the later then it could be the safety switch on the trans try wriggling the gear lever when you turn to start or try to start in neutral, the switch contacts get worn/dirty over time and need a clean or replace the unit...
thanks for your help once again wozza, yeah not really sure about whats happening, when it happens again ill pay a bit more attention to what might be happening and whats the cause. every single time its happened it wasn't a thorough investigation it was just a **** whys my car not starting. ill post once I find out any new information but cheers again!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It will often also affect your reversing lights. That is they won't work.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Please let us know if repairing the NSS fixes it Dale. Good for helping others who experience the same prob. If it is the NSS eventually it will leave you stranded if you don't dismantle and clean it. Been there done that.... Mine is playing up and I keep putting it off. I really need to get it over the pit in my shed and overhaul it, before it's a flatbed. Unfortunately wiggling the leaver only works so many times.

Last edited:

dale0908

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Please let us know if repairing the NSS fixes it Dale. Good for helping others who experience the same prob. If it is the NSS eventually it will leave you stranded if you don't dismantle and clean it. Been there done that.... Mine is playing up and I keep putting it off. I really need to get it over the pit in my shed and overhaul it, before it's a flatbed. Unfortunately wiggling the leaver only works so many times.
thanks losh I appreciate it, when I get some spare time I will definitely repair it. how would I go about fixing it and where is the switch?