Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine won't start

bofu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
Hi Mates

My car is VZ 2006 with 170000KM, recently it's getting hard to start the engine, when I put the key in the barrel and turn it on, tried to start engine, sometimes the engine is quiet, you can't hear any sound or noise that made by engine or any attempts to start engine. there is no any warning lights come up from dashborad and I can use the radio and lights that means the battery is ok. I tried with another key, problem remains. sometime I changed the gear from P to N then Back to P , after that make another try, I could make the engine start again. but sometimes this way is not working.
I know that if you want to start the car ,the gear must be in P position , I am not sure the gear in Parking position is woking proprerly. any helps from you guys. thanks

Cheers

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Sounds like the Transmission inhibitior switch if you move it to N then back to P and it starts.

Does it start in N some times ?

bofu

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
Sounds like the Transmission inhibitior switch if you move it to N then back to P and it starts.

Does it start in N some times ?
Thanks for your reply,mate

I never started my car in N before.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
On the VZ, it can be started in N or P. The engine will not start in P, 3, 2, 1 or R.
It is possible the gear selector switch has slipped and is mistaking N or P or one of the drive gears. Have the transmission serviced e.g. Fluidrive. It is an easy transmission to service.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I'm going to bet its the neutral safety switch.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm going to bet its the neutral safety switch.

The VZ can be in either N or P to start.
I'm going to bet the key fob battery(ies) is flat and so the immobiliser cannot 'handshake' a weak or dead battery via the ring around the ignition barrel.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
It is designed to be powered through the circuit to avoid this. So even a key with a flat battery will still start the car.

"The remote coded key is powered by it’s own internal battery. If this battery fails, no RF signal is transmitted when
operating the lock, unlock and rear compartment release buttons. However, the slip ring has the ability to power the key
when the key is inserted into the ignition switch and turned on, or to the start position. This enables theft deterrent
disarming"

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
It is designed to be powered through the circuit to avoid this. So even a key with a flat battery will still start the car.

Come to think of it, yes, and it is a similar system with those VFs that have push button start. Many owners of the VF are not aware of this!

In the event of a flat battery in the remote key, the VF remote is placed into a slot in the forward inside face of the console box above the USB port, and this completes the handshake, and enables a start, but the battery warning measure for the remote on the DIC will persist. This is just a temporary, albeit considered measure - - the remote key battery must be replaced as a priority even with this nifty workaround. It is not intended to be used as the default starting method.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
My guess is the neutral safety switch on the side of the transmission. Easy to get to if the car is up high.
Straight forward replacement. Some adjusting is needed.

The power to the starter is as follows.

A 12volt constant (possibly controlled by BCM)
An input from the ignition switch (possibly controlled by BCM)
An input (or out put) to neutral switch (Not sure if it provides an earth or a voltage if the gear is in N or P)
An output to the starter solenoid.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 7.56.42 pm.png

Going to guess 86 is the earth to neutral safety switch. Should earth if in P or N?
Bridge 85 and 87 (i think it is) with a 30amp gauge wire and you can start the car with ignition on.

Could the neutral switch continuity be crudely tested with a multimeter or test light between 30 and 86? Sound if in Park or Neutral?