Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engineering Cert/L77/E85

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Are the E85 Commies able to use the sweet stuff to pass cams, blowers etc in Qld?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
So is it strictly OEM E85 vehicles, or can anyone do a conversion to meet emissions? Reason I ask is that I need to add another Sportwagon to the family and am mulling over a new Redline or a low km E85 SS or better. I have access to E85 and the vehicle will be just for me (with no signwriting) yay! Cam, heads and/or blowjob won't take long if it is second hand but would like to get it certified. What am I missing? Will wild mods on E85 pass emissions but fail noise testing? What's possible?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I think the best answer is going to be "find a certifying engineer & work with them" ... if you're anywhere near monstar, I'm guessing he's worked with someone he can recommend.

The reason for saying this ... what you're going to need to do relies as much on the certifying engineer as it does on the rules. The rules are always fluffy, there's always room for interpretation, some engineers won't even consider mods for which others will assemble swathes of data to prove the rules are met.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
In QLD you don’t need an engineering certificate for CAI, headers and tune, no. The assumptions are
A) it doesn’t make your vehicle louder,
B) original emissions spec
C) runs a tune so does not increase power >20%... (when tested)
You can’t touch the fuel system apart from injectors, and emissions equipment must be in place.
Basically OEM or OEM+ is the key, non-factory noisey and stinky with stickers and stuff is just asking for trouble.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
Thanks guys. It gives me a few important facts. An LSA Tourer is sounding like a good idea about now!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Thanks guys. It gives me a few important facts. An LSA Tourer is sounding like a good idea about now!
Just saying I tweaked my L77 to outperform LSA for half the cost, half the heat and fuel. Thing is to get LSA actually performing better than well tweaked NA means at least pulley (fail, illegal needs cert) and ultimately a proper cam (fail, fail but yeah man it flies).

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Wait, a tune isn’t “original emissions spec”; a tune gets more power by ignoring emissions requirements.
Getting caught is obviously not likely; but I can’t see how it’s actually legal.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Wait, a tune isn’t “original emissions spec”; a tune gets more power by ignoring emissions requirements.
Getting caught is obviously not likely; but I can’t see how it’s actually legal.
Nah brah FB at the moment has everyone agreeing (democratic vote) that a cam makes your car smell like petrol and you need to drill a hole in your throttle plate, only poofy cars idle under 750 rpm :confused:
Firstly you are not going to get busted in QLD coz State has no IM240 equipment. Serious. But that doesn't mean you should flaunt the regulatory loophole!! It is your responsibility to ensure tune meets ADR for your car and year o_O
Secondly you'd be crazy to try and certify a tune that is always hunting for rpm and galloping / farting to different cadence every 10 seconds. Temper the low speed air at stationary rpm and off-idle transition to become stable and meet the target, not blast explosively off from a dig because there is no low rpm mild power management. Fixing that sort of basic stuff really helps everyone.
Overall you are tuning around a different exhaust pressure and low speed intake air. There is no requirement to say that the accelerator pedal position is mapped to more than say 30% throttle blade opening either. Interesting thing is that by doing a little work to tame roadworthy manners I've found you definitely don't want to go back to shaking, rattling, fumey noisey cop bait in a hurry.