Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engineering certificate for brake upgrade from SS to Brembo brakes ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
You bought up failure to stop in the context of this user wanting to modify his brakes.

Last time I checked this thread was not about distracted drivers.....
Yep. Failure to stop causes most crashes. Put it in whatever context you like moderator...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Thanks for the info Ron :cool:

What’s not clear in VSI9(and generally in all docs) is the interpretation and meaning of ‘model’.

From a compliance point, most normal people would take a wider view of model to be one of either a commodore sedan, Ute or wagon making upgrades simpler.

Sadly I suspect the regulators are not normal people and would take a bureaucratic view that the model is what the manufacture defines within the model designator shown on built plate (VF8EK69 for your SS or VF8EP69 for my MSE).

If the later view of model is true, that’s the crux of the problem.

Brembo’s were never an option of VF8EK69 (SS) while 275/35R20 rears tyres (9.5” rim) and 245/35R20 front tyres (8.5” rim) were the only tyre fitment option for my MSE.

Now stick with me for a bit, with the narrow bureaucratic view of model, I CAN NOT go narrower in rear width than 275 (little is mentioned about sidewall height / rim diameter so i’d assume it’s relatively free if rolling diameter is within allowed +/- limits).

So theory would say I can’t put narrower 8.5” width on the rear even though the spare is a 245/35R20 black forged alloy (like the front) BUT actually carries a temporary wheel sticker on it. The fact this spare carries a temp wheel sticker seems to reinforces the narrower bueaurocratic view of model (yuck).

It all sounds crazy.

Maybe as a last resort you can chat to those idiot bureaucrats and see how they interpret ‘model’ w.r.t reducing MSE rear tyre width so one can legally run same width front and rear. If the bueaurocrats take a sensible broader view of model for the tyre issue and say it’s ok, ask why the brakes are any different?

Mind you, that’s only if you haven’t had enough of banging your head against bureaucraticly stupid rules.

Me, for now i’ll stick with current 20” wheels though I may also ring VicRoads and ask about the tyre situation. I’ll put up with halogens rather than chasing self leveling HID lights with washers as that is much more of a mess than brakes o_O

Even if we assume the model in your case is VF8EP69....that is the same as Redline if I am not mistaken. Therefore any wheel that comes on standard Redline is fine for MSE as well...
Unless I am missing something...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Even though I have made up my mind i sill wanna learn about RMS logic...
Fascinating

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I am confident that any wheels by Holden that fit your VF would be perfectly fine...
My book shown Redline & MSE have 19” or 20” rim options but in either. Are the rears are 275mm wide which can’t be made narrower. As such ‘any wheel’ is not quite correct.

What’s so sad about this issue is that a there are 4WD’s running around the road with wheels sitting >1” clear of the body work and regulators are such sticklers for their stupid rules... Stupid stupid stupid.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yep. Failure to stop causes most crashes. Put it in whatever context you like moderator...

Ambiguity at it's finest.

Me, for now i’ll stick with current 20” wheels though I may also ring VicRoads and ask about the tyre situation. I’ll put up with halogens rather than chasing self leveling HID lights with washers as that is much more of a mess than brakes o_O

Headlights, that's a whole another thread and something that really grates on me been a Sedan driver.....

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
My book shown Redline & MSE have 19” or 20” rim options but in either. Are the rears are 275mm wide which can’t be made narrower. As such ‘any wheel’ is not quite correct.

What’s so sad about this issue is that a there are 4WD’s running around the road with wheels sitting >1” clear of the body work and regulators are such sticklers for their stupid rules... Stupid stupid stupid.

What about SSV (non redline) what model code would be stamped for that ? If it is the same as SSV Redline then you could go less than 275 on the back..?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
#44667 is an approval number compliance number. We don’t know how Holden presented the various models to the regulators for compliance approval.

Model VF8EK69 may never have been complied with Brembos while model VF8EP69 they were complied,as they were standard. I’d think on paper these models are treated as totally different cars.

I hope I’m wrong and the bureaucrats finally check and see some sense and formally tell you it’s now ok.

But I have my doubts as what sort of perverse bureaucratic logic would put a temporary wheel sticker on my MSE spare alloy because it is narrower than the rears but same as the fronts?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
My user manual shows “SV6 and SS” in one table while “ SS V Redline and Motorsport Edition” is shown on another table. The later table shows 275 wide rears for both 19 & 20” rim options.

No model codes are in the user manual so all I know is what my compliance, vin and edition plates indicate.

I’m no expert, so it’s not even clear to me whether the user manual mean “SS-V” and “Redline” and “Motorsport Edition” as three separate models or “SS V Redline” and “Motorsport Edition” as two models (I vaguely remember some model consolidation occured in 2017 but not sure of details) in any case only 275 wide rears are shown on this table.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
My user manual shows “SV6 and SS” in one table while “ SS V Redline and Motorsport Edition” is shown on another table. The later table shows 275 wide rears for both 19 & 20” rim options.

No model codes are in the user manual so all I know is what my compliance, vin and edition plates indicate.

I’m no expert, so it’s not even clear to me whether the user manual mean “SS-V” and “Redline” and “Motorsport Edition” as three separate models or “SS V Redline” and “Motorsport Edition” as two models (I vaguely remember some model consolidationoccured in 2017 but not sure of details).in any case only 275 wide rears areshown on this table.
SSV ended in 2016. Is yours 2017? Maybe that’s why it might not be in book.

Status
Not open for further replies.