Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engines?

sydd131

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Calais
heyyy, i've currently got a vn calais, was gonna sell it cause of rust under windscreen, but its not gonna cost much so im keeping it. Annyywayys, engine has 290,000 on it, think its gonna die soon, i got quoted $3500 with a reco engine and to have it installed, i was like whoa, thats a bit over the top, but i've heard theres another joint nearby that does em for $1500, but i've found reco performance engines for just under 3,500. is this worth getting:

1 X PERFORMANCE BUILT RECONDITIONED LONG ENGINE .

BLOCK CHEMICALLY CLEANED,DECKED,NEW CAM BEARINGS INSTALLED.

REBORED AND HONED TO PERFORMANCE TOLERANCES.

CRANK GROUND AND LINISHED.

NEW WELSH PLUGS,

HEADS FULLY RECONDITIONED ,NEW VALVES ,BRONZE GUIDES,3 ANGLE VALVE GRIND, BACK CUT VALVES,BOWL PORTED AND FLOWED.

SUPPY AND FIT NEW STAGE 2 CAM AND LIFTERS.

LONG ENGINE PAINTED AND FULLY ASSEMBLED

X SET ACL PERFORMANCE PISTONS AND RINGS.9.5 :1 COMP

1 X SET ACL MAIN AND CONROD BEARINGS.

1 x Clive Roller 212 @50 Hydraulic Cam 2500 -6000 rpm.

1 X SET OF PERFORMANCE VALVE SPRINGS

1x Performance 70 mm throttle body c/o.

1x Performance chip to suit cam listed c/o.

1x Rollmaster Red timing chain and gears SINGLE ROW

12 x Hydraulic lifters( NEW ! NOT RECO)

1 x FULL GASKET SET

would that be worth getting for $3290? if i keep this car i wanna get the engine rather good as i'll be on my p's soon which means easternats/summernats. any opinions please?

sydd131

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Calais
gah anyone? lol

vr_shart

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
vr executive
drop a 5litre in it buy a $h1t bodied but good motor vn ss and put the motor out of that in it it wud b sweet

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
mate vs ss 5l are about $1500 from many wreakers

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Agree, buy a 5litre that's clean on the insides, much much cheaper way to get the power.

Oh I see you are on restricted P's soon, in that case just stick a stock motor in it when this one breaks and keep your money for later then do as above ^

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I'll second those opinions. For the money you'll spend on that "performance" motor, you won't get much performance. Money badly spent if you ask me.

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
i've seen them on ebay, just searched up your specific one - he estimates 155kw at the flywheel (probably estimates more than it really is as well). for $3,300, you can get A LOT more power. you can easily get a wrecked 5ltr, drop it in, do a few mods (CAI, chip, exhaust) and if you're lucky be pushing 200fwkw... all for less than $3,300, plus you have a nice car outside with lots of spare parts to either keep, or wreck yourself on ebay and start making money back!