Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Enlarging Breather Holes? right bank rocker cover, 3.0 V6 VE Commodore

Classic327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Commodore 3ltr - 82 Chevy Pickup
A few months ago I bought a VE Commodore 3.0 SIDI with 97000 ks, it has carbon build up on the right bank (top of head, inside rocker cover etc). I understand it's a common problem for this engine. I saw a video where a mechanic suggested drilling holes a little bit bigger in the metal (breather) fitting that goes in the rear of the rocker cover, to help that side breathe better and help clean it up -he didn't say or show how much bigger. Has anyone done this? Is it recommended? Is it effective in halting and or reducing carbon in the right bank and, if so what size holes did you drill? The carbon is soft and breaks down easily between fingers.

Suami

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
A few months ago I bought a VE Commodore 3.0 SIDI with 97000 ks, it has carbon build up on the right bank (top of head, inside rocker cover etc). I understand it's a common problem for this engine. I saw a video where a mechanic suggested drilling holes a little bit bigger in the metal (breather) fitting that goes in the rear of the rocker cover, to help that side breathe better and help clean it up -he didn't say or show how much bigger. Has anyone done this? Is it recommended? Is it effective in halting and or reducing carbon in the right bank and, if so what size holes did you drill? The carbon is soft and breaks down easily between fingers.
I have seen that video; I don’t believe it was about carbon build up more about saving the engine from failure due to timing chain stretching.
The carbon build up is easily cleaned up forunder $200; my mechanic did it on my last service.....I have a 3.0 with 250000k on the clock and timing chain replaced. Get ready for throttle body and position sensor also; common problem. If I could I would get rid of mine; they are gutless things.....but then again I’m comparing it to my Redline

Suami

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Maybe new to you; but not to many VE and early VF 6 cylinder owners....3.0 SIDI V6 I own with 250000 on the clock; first throttle body was done before 100k second done at approx 175k and now due for another.....

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Maybe new to you; but not to many VE and early VF 6 cylinder owners....3.0 SIDI V6 I own with 250000 on the clock; first throttle body was done before 100k second done at approx 175k and now due for another.....

I have one with almost 300000 on it. I have another with 230000, and Father in-laws has 300000. Never an inkling of it. Not often discussed on the forum either.

Suami

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Nothing better to do than look for an argument clown ? Do you have a 3.0 ? Look up the stability control fault logs and what it is a result of ? Just because you have never seen it; doesn’t mean it’s not.
Go to sleep mate; your a clown

Suami

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Throttle position sensor setting off "Check Engine" warning

Here you go trouble seeking mechanical expert....here’s just one example and guess what the fix is ???! New throttle body.....stop chiming in if your not certain mate; long term member of this joint of not....we are all constantly learning...some a little more than others mate hey ?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Nothing better to do than look for an argument clown ? Do you have a 3.0 ? Look up the stability control fault logs and what it is a result of ? Just because you have never seen it; doesn’t mean it’s not.
Go to sleep mate; your a clown

Calm down mate. You've been here how long?

Friendly warning.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67