Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EPA noise complaint on cammed ve

jasevessvR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline Wagon
I have a cammed ve wagon running a full 2.5 system, I've copped 2 noise complaints now so i have to take it for testing, i will update this morning with the db @ 4000 rpm @ 1 metre back @ 45 deg. (found a place that will test it for me for $50)
Question is, if its not far over would a set of varex mufflers help ? is it possible to modify hsv bimodals so they actuate mechanically instead of by vacuum ? or would resonators help....i don't want to bolt standard mufflers up as they have told me they will photograph the car, my belief is that its the cold start in the morning that is causing the issue.
Thoughts please ?

Happydaze

Happydaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE T30
If it goes for testing you would have to open up the varex (if you had them).

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Know a bloke who did took his solid cammed 383 to have a defect cleared. Made up 2 thin steel plates the same size as the flanges after the cats with a 16mm hole in each. Undid the bolts and slid them in with a gasket on each side and the thing was silent. Was strange watching the engine move around in the engine bay not making a sound haha.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Know a bloke who did took his solid cammed 383 to have a defect cleared. Made up 2 thin steel plates the same size as the flanges after the cats with a 16mm hole in each. Undid the bolts and slid them in with a gasket on each side and the thing was silent. Was strange watching the engine move around in the engine bay not making a sound haha.

That is the easiest/cheapest way. another but more expensive option is some of these.
F142793840.jpg

I guess it also depends on how many dB you need to knock off.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro

Yeah, a mate at work did this quite a few years ago to a big skyline, he reconed the tester knew something was up and it should have been way noisier but couldn't do anything but pass it as couldn't work out what was reducing the noise.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The varlex mufflers are what I want on my monaro but they're not quite when they are opened up .

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The varlex mufflers are what I want on my monaro but they're not quite when they are opened up .
Thing is with these the car’s quiet when you need it to be. Can leave for work in the morning without waking up the world. I’d say op woke up the neighbours a few too many times.

Varex mufflers are a good prevention measure.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thing is with these the car’s quiet when you need it to be. Can leave for work in the morning without waking up the world. I’d say op woke up the neighbours a few too many times.

Varex mufflers are a good prevention measure.

I agree. Just saying if they need to be open for testing that they're not that quite.
Highlights that I guess I'm pretty lucky no one complains about mine ( good neighbors), I also don't hang around, ( or the guy down the street with his xy or xw ( although it doesn't get used all the time )).
Where I was living when I had my yammy trx850 I got a typed anonymous letter complaining about it . Dam that thing sounded fxxking fantastic, but choke , carbies , it needed warming up a little . Tried riding off beforeh a little bit of a warm up , it was a pig , just didn't like it.

jasevessvR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline Wagon
Thanks, I’ll try this, the other thing I’ve been told by the tester at waminda is that he wants to see a maf or nap sensor, my car is mafless and runs the standard map sensor which is no good ffs these guys, my mechanic said he can remove the vacuum grommet and put a hose on it, which is the difference specified by waminda....what do you think ?