Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Epoxy coating a garage floor

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
I've bought my first home, and want to coat the garage floor whilst its clean/empty.

It's a new property, the concrete was poured over 3 months ago so its ready to be coated.
USA seems to have a huge variety of DIY Epoxy kits that include base coat, flakes, clear and all required tools for about $200 but it costs too much in shipping to get it to Oz.
(Epoxy Paint For Garage Floors – Epoxy-Coat.com seems to be quite popular in the states with good reviews).

I found a Dy-mark kit at Bunnings but it's not available in many colours and can't be tinted (I'm after a bright red)
The kit also does not come with clear coat so this has to be purchased separately.
I was only able to find one review for this product, and this was a complaint about the clear yellowing and hot tyre pick-up.

I'm well aware of the prep work involved before applying the epoxy/clear.

It would be immensely appreciated if somebody could help me with the below:
1 - Has anybody here got first hand experience with applying an epoxy kit to there garage floor and how well has it held up?
2 - Any members that work in a paint store that can recommend a brand/product for a reasonable price?

Cheers,
Izzy

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
I'll get back to you on this one, I haven't done a garage floor, but a shop floor I have with 2 part epoxy, I'll have to give the old boss a buzz to fun out the name and if it can be tinted, it's been a while.

From what I've seen, it stood up fairly well with foot traffic and fruit/veg crates.

__/ ][ \__
~O-----O\

Don't ruin a good story with the truth.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Does it have to have the decorative flake?
Have you applied this type of coating before? I'm a painter by trade, and I hate the ****! Prep can be a nightmare as it either needs to be acid etched or whip blasted, both can be a pain if you have plastered walls.
You mention price, if your talking a good quality product your going to pay through the ass. I used PPG to do mine, at cost price, and it cost me about $500. I wouldn't buy any of the crap bunnings sell, it's all overpriced DIY rubbish.

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
Does it have to have the decorative flake?
Have you applied this type of coating before? I'm a painter by trade, and I hate the ****! Prep can be a nightmare as it either needs to be acid etched or whip blasted, both can be a pain if you have plastered walls.
You mention price, if your talking a good quality product your going to pay through the ass. I used PPG to do mine, at cost price, and it cost me about $500. I wouldn't buy any of the crap bunnings sell, it's all overpriced DIY rubbish.

Have not applied it, but I'm pretty handy, have done a fair share of painting and I've read through A LOT of threads/reviews.
Also watched dozen's of videos now, pretty sure I should be able to manage.
Will be acid etched, garage has a row of tiles around the bottom of the wall so going to do the best at trying to keep it from getting on the plaster.

Nah, I don't really want the flakes (have read it is a PITA to get the flakes distributed evenly if your a first timer).
Want something along the lines of:
338375.jpg

The garage is only a touch bigger then a single, budgets about 400-500.
I don't mind spending a bit more if the products proven and will last!

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
I'll get back to you on this one, I haven't done a garage floor, but a shop floor I have with 2 part epoxy, I'll have to give the old boss a buzz to fun out the name and if it can be tinted, it's been a while.

From what I've seen, it stood up fairly well with foot traffic and fruit/veg crates.

__/ ][ \__
~O-----O\

Don't ruin a good story with the truth.

Thanks man, would be awesome if you could find out.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
If it's your first time, your not going to get a finish like that pictured.
No offence, you can read **** online till the cows come home, doesn't translate to application what so ever.
Epoxies can be difficult in that you often need to adjust thinner ratio's, etc depending on atmospheric conditions, etc

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
If it's your first time, your not going to get a finish like that pictured.
No offence, you can read **** online till the cows come home, doesn't translate to application what so ever.
Epoxies can be difficult in that you often need to adjust thinner ratio's, etc depending on atmospheric conditions, etc

No offence taken. I've got faith in myself lol. I'm definitely going to give it a crack the best i can. Will end up posting pics. I'm not fussed bout it being perfect as long as its not horrible, fingers crossed.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Won't be horrible, but hard to get a finish like above. It a fine balancing act between the amount of thinner you use, how heavy a coat you apply, etc

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
Won't be horrible, but hard to get a finish like above. It a fine balancing act between the amount of thinner you use, how heavy a coat you apply, etc

Tech data for the product should have the pot life, thinning info, dry times etc that should help me with that.
If not I'll quiz who ever I end up buying the epoxy from.

Thanks for the input!

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Tech data for the product should have the pot life, thinning info, dry times etc that should help me with that.
If not I'll quiz who ever I end up buying the epoxy from.

Thanks for the input!
Data sheets are based on 20 degrees and 75% humidity unless otherwise stated, you have to adjust accordingly.
I'll PM you in a sec.