Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Epoxy coating a garage floor

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
Hey mate I used the DyMark floor paint in my garage, put it down during Christmas holidays. Has held up well, prep was easy, just followed instructions but get the right rollers as the paint pulls the cheap ones apart. Only pic I could find.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I'm in the concrete resurfacing business, spray on paving, stencil etc (hence the name accentstencil). Although I don't do the epoxy, I have seen a demonstration of how it is done and seems to be not very difficult.
The company I buy my materials from also sell everything needed to do the epoxy, including the coloured flakes and even glitter if you like that sort of thing. There are many branches in NSW but they only appear to have two in VIC and they are at Dandenong and Brunswick. I'm sure you will get the products cheaper from them than Bunnings, if the price of concrete sealer at Bunnings is any thing to go by.

Parchem Construction Supplies

Last edited:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Dulux durabild ste or luxafloor
Durabuild is a semi gloss finish, not what the OP wanted.
Luxafloor would be fine but not sure you can get the colour OP is after from memory.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Durabuild is a semi gloss finish, not what the OP wanted.
Luxafloor would be fine but not sure you can get the colour OP is after from memory.

Is there a way that it can be epoxied, then a gloss red enamel over the top then a sealer or clear gloss can be used?
I'm a painter myself, but never really done any industrial coatings, and the **** I did use I mentioned earlier looks very similar to Crew chiefs

__/ ][ \__
~O-----O\

Don't ruin a good story with the truth.

Yande

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
Bumped this thread up as I am looking at applying some type of finish, sealant, to the concrete floor in my garage. It is not actually used for my car, more so, as a processing area where I roast a range of value added nuts that we manufacture. And before you start, after 20 years I think I have heard most jokes regarding "floggin' me nuts for a livin!"
I'm pretty sure I can get away with water blasting the existing concrete (approx 8m x 4.5m) that was laid around 13 years ago, though some areas that have had nuts mashed underfoot and left oil stains may have to be treated?
Not after anything too flash or difficult to lay down. I have noticed some products advertised on TV and am interested to hear if anyone has had any experience or advice (new products) apart from that aready mentioned. Will check out Parchem Chems.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I have used the petrol resistant pave coat in two sheds, very happy with it especially when you buy 20lt for around $250.

You might also want to buy the silica sand to mix in to create a non slip surface.

IMG_1095.PNG

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
I would recommend cleaning concrete ( scrubbing with a stiff bristle broom) with a solution of hydrochloric acid in water and then washing out to remove any contaminants and oil residue to aid the paint to bond to concrete floor .

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I would recommend cleaning concrete ( scrubbing with a stiff bristle broom) with a solution of hydrochloric acid in water and then washing out to remove any contaminants and oil residue to aid the paint to bond to concrete floor .

X2 I had to degrease a garage in a rental once as I rebuilt an engine that was still in the car. Fair amount of oil in patches. IIRC I used pool acid really cheap if you get it in the summer. I mixed it with some water in a bucket and used a stiff broom and it came up perfect. Then just hosed it out. Having said that I wouldn't etch a floor that wasn't getting coated if it was my own unless I was coating it as the acid eats the cement a tad on the surface and probably makes it more prone to getting stained if not treated.

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
We had the Epoxy Flake flooring done about 8 months ago by Nulook Floors. Mark did our floor and it looks and feels great. It still looks perfect now. I highly recommend it. It give the garage a wow factor.

20170816_110221s.jpg
20170816_161137s.jpg
20170816_110226s.jpg