Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Erratic Idle Ecotech

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah I was of the belief that TB cleaner was too harsh and shouldn't be used? That's why they have MAF specific cleaner.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Well that is what the sales and marketing people want you to believe, what is the price difference between MAF and Carb cleaner?

I don't think I've bought a can of MAF cleaner ever but then I only do the MAF's on my own cars so I'm happy to take the risk (but no failures yet)....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
TB cleaner $4 a can on sale, MAF labelled cleaner $34 a can at the same store and rarely if ever on sale.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I know what I'm using

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Ok............it looks like I'll do this as part of general maintenance but I do have some progress news as to my problem.

I've had a good look around all the vacuum lines and various connections and found that the plastic line that goes into the rubber elbow which fits on to the bottom of the throttle body has somehow slipped out thus creating a vacuum breach.

Now after further investigations and as this vehicle is dual fuel capable I found that it now ran perfectly on Gas after re-fitment of the line into the elbow but it still runs erratic on petrol. Something it's never done. Normally the gas side of engine function is far more critical than what petrol is. I must say that I find this somewhat strange.

If I may ask............what is the electrical component that's located at the back of the drivers side bank of the engine that has both the vacuum lines from the canister and also the TB going to it ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try a reset VS-Lover and see if anything improves after 10 or so runs. I'm not surprised it runs better on gas now, because unless you have injected gas the gas swirl inside the TB will be affected without proper vacuum.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok............it looks like I'll do this as part of general maintenance but I do have some progress news as to my problem.

I've had a good look around all the vacuum lines and various connections and found that the plastic line that goes into the rubber elbow which fits on to the bottom of the throttle body has somehow slipped out thus creating a vacuum breach.

Now after further investigations and as this vehicle is dual fuel capable I found that it now ran perfectly on Gas after re-fitment of the line into the elbow but it still runs erratic on petrol. Something it's never done. Normally the gas side of engine function is far more critical than what petrol is. I must say that I find this somewhat strange.

If I may ask............what is the electrical component that's located at the back of the drivers side bank of the engine that has both the vacuum lines from the canister and also the TB going to it ?

That is the purge solenoid and part of the anti-pollution equipment, basically at certain engine conditions it opens and allows the engine to suck the fumes from the petrol tank. That elbow was a common failure point on the VS our old VS V6 included not long after we purchased it.

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
I have a **** idle in a vs. It's a sticking tb.

If I slip my foot off the throttle at full open and get the tb to slam shut before starting, it idles great. If I forget then occasionally it will start amd idle 1200-1800rpm and not settle down.

Your prob sounds different though.