Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Erratic Idle Ecotech

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Hi All,

I've been having a bit of an issue with the wife's VS Ecotech Acclaim that really doesn't want to idle well and when it gets really rough the computer suddenly ups the idle and then lets it go again and the whole process starts over and just keeps on cycling constantly through this roughness.
When the vehicle is in normal running mode it's fine, it's just at idling speed where this happens consistently. eg. pulling up at the lights and waiting etc.

I've replaced the IAC solenoid but nothing changes and my next thought is a vacuum leak which the computer keeps on making adjustments for. Vacuum increases with higher engine revs and thus there is no loss sensed by the computer but at idle it is much lower and thus the ECU keeps on making adjustments to correct.

One thing to take into consideration and that is the valley gaskets were done about 8 months ago and this issue has slowly become apparent after this job was done but it's now at the point of unbearable.

This is just my theory and as such am wondering what others think and have experienced in the past.

Cheers.

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
Could also be a dodgy plug, lead or coil pack perhaps? Whenever I get a dodgy idle in mine, replacing plugs and leads seems to sort it.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Mikey,

As it's on dual fuel it would've blown the air filter box to bits by now with a suspect plug or lead. It's a pretty expensive way to tell you to replace your ignition parts, so as it's on gas I always keep those parts up to date. Appreciate your input.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have you checked the vac lines vs-lover. It sounds like a vac issue to me. Something may have been damaged when replacing the gaskets. When I did mine i had the same issue but it kept stalling. Vac line was completely off which I doubt yours is or it wouldn't run id suspect for more than a min.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Losh,

Firstly thanks for the response. It's funny you mention this but I've also noticed that the vacuum system doesn't hold for all that long after you turn the car off as when you restart the vehicle some time later the A/C flaps instantly jump back into the previous position due to created vacuum within the system.

I'm going to have a much more in-depth look at all the vac lines and plug the rear outlet which feeds both the A/C system and the accumulator under the Left Hand front guard.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Start with the basics. Clean the TB/IAC passages. Clean the MAF etc.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
I gotta ask the question ? how does one clean the MAF meter ? I was always under the impression that you leave them alone and only replace as per requirement.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
These days you can by cans of MAF cleaner, just spray and let it air dry. Have a look through the MAF, the hot wires and posts need to be clean and shiny. I just use carb cleaner as I always have that on hand.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
These days you can by cans of MAF cleaner, just spray and let it air dry. Have a look through the MAF, the hot wires and posts need to be clean and shiny. I just use carb cleaner as I always have that on hand.

Apparently brake cleaner works well, which is also dirt cheap.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
LOL, any kind of spray on solvent/cleaner would work but must be used with care as some of those cleaners can be very harsh on certain metals.