Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Erratic vibration at idle, VE SV6 - engine mounts?

smidsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series I
2012 VE SV6 Sportswagon with 101,000km. It has a vibration at idle that wasn't present ~30,000km ago - it has been slowly getting worse over that mileage (probably 2 years). No RPM change is visible on the tachometer when it happens... it just feels like the car shakes occasionally - every few seconds - at idle. Most noticeable at startup.

In the last 10k it's had:

New spark plugs (turned out to be easier than I thought, followed this guide and didn't have to lift manifold)
New oil + oil filter
New air filter
Injector cleaner through the tank

I'm wondering if it's an engine mount or mounts - how do you test these on a Commodore?

Mick SSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV Redline
I've had similar experience with my VT 3.8 it only does it occasionally stationary at lights at idle, it could be the carbon build up in the throttle body over time, this can be cleaned with a can of spray throttle body cleaner from supercheap auto or similar, I used it and it seems to have cured it, cheers

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
I had it with my sv6. And with my now R8. During Idle can feel random vibration / shakes. Been told the VE mounts are not that great to upgrade them. But that is money i prefer to spend else where at the moment.

H

harrop.senator

Is it auto man? Auto is the easiest way to determine bad mounts without a pry bar and torch .

The intermittent idle surge is usually a misfire a lot of different things can cause it whether its a bad fuel filter an improperly spraying injector or coil pack , ignition lead arcing out etc.

smidsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series I
It's an auto - what does one do there to check them?

H

harrop.senator

If the vibration goes away or lessens in neutral its usually a mount as theirs less driveline load . Given the fact its intermittent though i highly doubt its the mounts usually when theyre farked theyre farked .

Aquarius

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY11 VE Berlina 3.0 SIDI
Good luck with this. I've had the same issue with my 3.0 SIDI since I bought it two years ago. Never any fault codes and a Tech2 never detected a misfire. In the end I gave up and just decided to live with it. It does feel like an occasional random misfire every few seconds but the exhaust note doesn't change and engine revs don't change. I've noticed it's more obvious when there is no load on the engine - worse in Neutral or Park and if the AC is on it seems to be much less noticeable. Did all the usual stuff - replaced plugs, checked for an actual misfire, cleaned the throttle body, checked for bad connectors on sensors and ECU but nothing out of place. Now I just live with it.

smidsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series I
Good luck with this. I've had the same issue with my 3.0 SIDI since I bought it two years ago. Never any fault codes and a Tech2 never detected a misfire. In the end I gave up and just decided to live with it. It does feel like an occasional random misfire every few seconds but the exhaust note doesn't change and engine revs don't change. I've noticed it's more obvious when there is no load on the engine - worse in Neutral or Park and if the AC is on it seems to be much less noticeable. Did all the usual stuff - replaced plugs, checked for an actual misfire, cleaned the throttle body, checked for bad connectors on sensors and ECU but nothing out of place. Now I just live with it.

Well that sounds like my issue... bad news that you never found out the cause, though :/

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV

My SV6 and R8 is exactly this. The R8 I have learned to live with it and just make sure i keep up to date with servicing.

The SV6 alloytec I had new Spark Plugs, New OBD2 Sensors, New Chains/Tensioners/Guides/ Different type of oil grades during services. Multiple Tech 2 checks during different times that came back with nothing. I never did try new Spark Plug leads which I should have done at the time. The shake was there before and after. A mates SIDI with 100k does the same which is what made me think maybe its just the engine mounts for these VE's