Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Error Code 31 - Theft Deterrent Signal Missing

QIKAZZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Enhanced V8
Hi there guys, I have read all the other posts on this topic, but none are really the same as the symptoms I am having.

I am getting Error Code 31 - Theft Deterrent Signal Missing from the computer on my VR Series 2 V8

It seems in the cold weather, early in the mornings or late at night, my Remote does not unlock the doors (I have tried both my keys), and also if I manually unlock the doors, when I turn the key, all the dash lights come on,fuel pump etc, but the engine will not turn over, also even if the car is already unlocked it still does the same thing, but its only when the weather is cold, if I give it an hour or so when the outside temps rise a few degrees, it unlocks, and starts perfect, like nothing is wrong. Its really got me stumped, but I find it hard to beleive its the remotes or the ignition contacts, luckly for me its not a daily driver, I would like to drive it a bit more, but im to worried about it letting me down, also im trying to sell it, and I cant bring myself to sell it to someone when its working, only for it to fail the first day they leave it outside in the cold.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Azz

QIKAZZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Enhanced V8
Noone has any ideas? These seems to be a lot of posts on this board, but not many have viewed my post :(

I would really love some suggestions.

Cheers

Azz

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
the code indicates there is a problem with the remote or reader, if a new remote doesnt fix it have a good look at the reader circuit

Cheers Rob

QIKAZZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Enhanced V8
Where abouts is the reader located on the car?

Cheers

Azz

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Isnt the key reader seperate from the remote disarm Dr Bob? Would the problem be likely to be in the BCM?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
the key reader is the contact thingys around the ignition barrel
if dtc 31 is logging it has nothing to do with the RF section of the key it will be the key or the reader circuit at fault.

Rob

QIKAZZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Enhanced V8
I have a photocopy of the theft deterent system page out of a auto elec manual, but it states in there 2 different things, and im not sure what one my vehicle would have, also where is it located on the car?

The page mentions a "body control module (low series) and it looks like the receiver is built into it, the other one there is a Theft deterrent module and a body control module (high series), and they are 2 seperate parts.

Which one would be fitted to my VR Series II 1995? Its a V8 if that makes any diff?

Some help would be great.

Cheers

Azz

QIKAZZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Enhanced V8
I have tried both of my keys, I will try a new battery for the sake of testing, but its pretty unlikly, also its only when the weather is real cold, if I try in the monrings it 90% of the time wont work, any other time of the day it works fine. I have tried bending the contacts out a little on the ignition barrel as well.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
how old are both keys, it is unlikely itll be the prob, and i take it u have disconnected battery (car) for a while the connected it to clear the fault and see if it returns?