Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

error code 66

Hazzard69

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS commodore Acclaim
G'day this is my first thread hope you can help, I have a 1997 V6 commodore acclaim automatic, just recently my check engine light has been comeing on & the car has been going into limp mode, running a little rough at idle & taking off & staying in third gear allthough you can manually change into second, moveing from park into gear really harsh.

Had car scanned error code 66, 3-2 control solenoid circuit fault.Now if it was just a matter of changing the solenoid there would be no problem(not a big job to replace).However when in limp mode iff im'e travelling at say 80klm slip the trans into neutral switch off the ignition then restart the engine the ce light goes out then when I pull the shift back into drive 4th gear is back & the gear changes are smooth as silk,but as soon as I stop the ce light comes on & it's back in limp mode.

So before buying a solenoid is there something else I should be checking.I should also add that when I start the car in the morning sometimes the ce light doesn't come on & when I slip it into drive goes in nice & smooth & takes off in 1st but by the time I get to & stop at the front gate light comes on,but again while moveing forward doesn't matter what speed slipping trans into neutral switching ignition off then restarting light goes out shifting into drive all gears working shifting is smooth,I drove 55klms after doing the ignition on off process with cruise control on & had no problems until I got into Blayney & stopped at a stop sign light came back on & idle got rough again.The thing is can the solenoid play up intermitently or is this an electrical problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The attached may help you get to the bottom of your problem - from the Holden VS Service Manual:

Attachments

• DTC 66 3-2 Control Solenoid Circuit Fault.pdf
    247.2 KB · Views: 111