Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Error codes 21, 23, 48,59, 67 and 82

David_Wright

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SPac Ute V6
Am in the process of finishing an engine swap into my 1996 VS ute. Replaced a high k's ecotec automatic with one from a berlina sedan of the same hyear model with 200,000 less k's. When I fire the engine up it runs but sounds like it's missing. Have checked the diagnostic codes and get 12, 21, 23, 48, 59, 67 and 82. Anyone have any idea how to fix these codes?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Looks like you have a few wiring/connector problems. Was the Ute originally a manual or an auto? Did you use the engine harness from the Ute or the one from the Berlina?

Last edited:

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Reset codes and check again so you don`t replace parts you don`t need just incase

David_Wright

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SPac Ute V6
Update: My throttle position sensor only has 0.5v between the earth and the power pins, is this normal? I thought that it is supposed to be 5v?

David_Wright

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SPac Ute V6
Can anyone point in the direction of whether my sensors are actually busted or if the wiring is the problem. and if so is there an easy way to test the wiring?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Refer to the TPS info below. The grey PCM wire should be showing around five volts:

The Throttle Position (TP) sensor is connected to the throttle shaft on the throttle body unit. It is a potentiometer with one end connected to 5 volts from the ECM/PCM (Grey wire) and the other end to ECM/PCM earth (Black wire with Yellow stripe). A third (Blue) wire connects from a sliding contact in the TP sensor to the ECM/PCM allowing the ECM/PCM to measure the voltage from the TP sensor. As the throttle is moved (accelerator pedal moved), the output of the TP sensor changes. At a closed throttle position, the output of the TP sensor is below 1.25V. As the throttle valve opens, the output increases so that, at wide-open throttle, the output voltage should be about 4 volts.
By monitoring the output voltage from the TP sensor, the ECM/PCM can determine fuel delivery based on throttle valve angle (driver demand). A broken or loose TP sensor can cause intermittent bursts of fuel from the injectors, and an unstable idle, because the ECM/PCM interprets the throttle is moving.
The TP sensor is not adjustable and there is not a set value for voltage at closed throttle because the actual voltage at closed throttle can vary from vehicle to vehicle due to tolerances. The ECM/PCM has a special program built into it that can adjust for the tolerances in the TP sensor voltage reading at idle. The ECM/PCM uses the reading at idle for the zero reading (0% throttle) so no adjustment is necessary. Even if the TP sensor voltage reading were to change for some reason, the TP sensor will still be 0% because the ECM/PCM will learn the new value and it will become the new closed throttle value to be used and no driveability complaint will be present because the ECM/PCM learned a new setting.A TP sensor circuit problem will set DTC 21 or DTC 22.If the internal spring in the TP sensor fails, the TP sensor will be stuck high. A sticking TP sensor should set DTC 19.