Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

eSafety Check (Pink Slip) Re: Park Brake Position

Tiffani

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS UTE
Hi all,

1999 VS Ute Auto (Gearshift on Steering wheel)

I had a pink slip check done today and was failed due to "Park Brake Doesn't Hold Position". For as long as I have owned the vehicle, the park brake has always dropped back to original position, it has never remained upright once pulled. The park brakes themselves work fine. Is this normal or was the mechanic right to fail me? I have had car registered previously, in 2 different states (QLD & NSW), so why is this only being addressed now?

Last edited:

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Prob because the auto's park lock was stopping the ute from moving forward :)
reason it passed previously
The hand brake should stay in its on position when the button is released(assuming the column shift park brake is the same as center console one)
what normally happens is the button comes off and the spring shoots out to god know's were or the spring is broken...if you pull the park brake lever up with one hand and then pull the button out with the other does it stay in place?..If so remove the button (its glued on so needs a good twist and yank to remove) and check the spring is there and in good condition...

Last edited:

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
He might be talking about the vehicle can still move with park brake on ?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
He might be talking about the vehicle can still move with park brake on ?

Wasn't that factory for the VB-VS disc rear park brake?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hmmm I thought it was a she ;) meh.....edited my post to make it clearer.....I think

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
is the hand brake located between the seat and door. i remember one of my parents cars had the handbrake that drop down to the floor after it was applied must have been the HQ kingswood only car they owned that had a bench seat last 52 years rest a been bucket seats both holden and ford, i think the reason why the brake handle drops to the floor is doesen t get in the way when you get in and out

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
yeah I have also taken it as being on the right hand side of the drivers seat down near the floor.
its how the Bench seat VS utes are (which is the style I have, except its awkward with a floor manual if you have a middle person :p)

its how its designed to work.
you pull up and the handbrake comes on and then it does drop down to the floor.
its only when you press the button in when its up that you can disengage the handbrake.

go back and ask the mech how its supposed to work, because it is how it is supposed to work.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Wouldn't be to comfortable getting in/out of the car if it is the drivers door side handbrake assembly stuck up your arse because it didn't drop back down how it's designed.
Or if it was a manual and left in neutral/high gear and you hit the release button on a hill while getting in/out of the car.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
your so called mechanic is a dumb **** for not understanding how this handbrake lever works . slap him in the face with a wet fish for me .
he's a digrace to us other mechanics .

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Wouldn't be to comfortable getting in/out of the car if it is the drivers door side handbrake assembly stuck up your arse because it didn't drop back down how it's designed.
Or if it was a manual and left in neutral/high gear and you hit the release button on a hill while getting in/out of the car.
Well that makes sense lol to be honest never been in a ute....well I have but they all had the hand brake under the dash :D