Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Essential Mods

C

Con

I have just paid a deposit for my new VR and I am already saving up my money so I can do some work on it. These are, in my opinion, the basic essential mods that a VR needs to look hot:

1. Lower the suspension with sexy rims

2. Extractors/exhaust for sound

3. Sound system

4. Maybe tints, seat covers and other minor accessories.

Im not that interested in body kits, well not at the moment anyway. Im not a car expert at all, which is why i need YOUR ADVICE PLEASE!

Q 1. Do I, or do I not need to change the shocks when I lower my car? Will my springs be replaced with shorter ones or do they just compress my existing ones? How low should I go?

Q 2. Do I need extractors for good sound (hopefully as close to a V8 as possible) or can i just change the exhaust? Air filter?

I have a LOT more questions id like to ask, but these'll do for now. The more info you commies can throw my way the better

PS nice site

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
normally it's a good idea to change shocks when lowering your car cause alot of problems can arise if you dont.

extractors hmmm yes good start but normally the exaust can be made to sound grunty.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Yes change the shocks if you lower it, otherwise you'll end up with a very unpredictably handling car.

Extractors and exhaust, a nice centre chamber expansion design, will give you a bit of a V8 gurgle at certain revs, and at idle.
BUt you will never get your V6 to rumble like an 8.

D

Duaneo

My V6 rumbles like a V8, has fooled more than 1 mechanic, goes quicker than most V8's too
Pacemaker extractors, hi flow cat, 2 & 1/2 inch exhaust with two hotdogs instead of the mufflers and a 4 inch oval tip.

OSL-060

Banned
Reaction score
QUOTE Pacemaker extractors, hi flow cat, 2 & 1/2 inch exhaust with two hotdogs instead of the mufflers and a 4 inch oval tip.

I've heard a V6 with Pacemakers and a single hotdog, it sounded like a tractor. The extra one may tone it down but damn it would drone and be so bloody loud

Jake.

D

Duaneo

I think all up it was about $500 but my maye did it for me....
Ya it is quite loud, but its a good loud, drones on the highway between 2500 and 3500 rpm, but normally I go quick enough on the highway to stay above those revs
It was not done like this for sound or performance, but due to the fact that my car was so low the mufflers kept getting busted when they hit speedhumps and other ground things, the hotdogs gimme a tad more clearance.
In my opinion I would think it is illegally loud, but I have been pulled over a few times and the cops dont seem to worry about it, they tend to focus more on my singe wiper setup