Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Etch and primer questions

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Done some searching and seem to have mixed results. I am painting out the tub with Raptor but I need to prime it. Issue I have is scratches I believe it needs etch but then you shouldn't etch over paint? What are my choices do I need to spend two days and wire wheel the entire tub, etch and then prime. Or can I just get a litre of primer/surfacer and just prime the bare metal scratches with that?
Other question is will I need 2k primer or can I just use single primer/surfacer and then apply the Raptor over that, and not worry about any etch? This is all going on a VR ute which has the factory baked enamel 2 pac.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Depends what results you want. And if you are going to be throwing tools and stuff in the tray is it worth the time to achieve a showcar finish. 2pak primer is better but more work. What state is it in now, by the sound of it it's paint scratched through to the metal?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It has some scratches on the raised areas of the base, where the tub liner has rubbed off the paint.
20200113_081447.jpg

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I wouldn’t bother priming that. Just go over with 400g or some scotchbrite before coating it.

if you want to prime, call the company to check primer comparability.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Checked on with paint supply place and he said to etch prime the bare spots. I decided to etch a couple of the bigger bare spots as well as the galv plate for the towbar, rest of the rubs I'm going to prime with surfacer primer.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Not sure if anyone is watching this thread but i am now interested in people's thoughts on using a rag roller instead of a spatter gun? I may not be able to borrow a gun as planned. I figure i will need three rollers on hand as the paint will harden fairly quickly.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
For a ute tray it probably doesn't matter how you get the paint on as long as you build up several coats to survive the liner rubbing on it.