Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

etch primers

Boostedn14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Mate....Look into the Etch Primer ...It is originally supposed to be used to etch into the aluminium to get the paint to stick..Otherwise u cant paint alloy surfaces very effectively at all......
You dont need to etch prime any steel.........Standard primer, undercoat will do the trick...........
You have to be aware that the primer hardens up over time....and is poreous, so it absorbs moisture out of the air....even 2k highfill primer....
Where most people run into trouble....is that they let the undercoat set to long before top coat application......48hrs max....escpecially when painting with Group 3 colours and custom tints...

You dot need to etch prime mild steel SIMPLE

If you are painting Alloy however...HELL YEAH ETCH PRIME THE CRAP OUT OF IT....

Oh dear.....

Well, i will stick to using a self etching 2k.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Etch primer is designed for adhesion to non-ferrous surfaces.

Faynt11

Feeder of Trolls
Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VE SV6 Ute
Mate....Look into the Etch Primer ...It is originally supposed to be used to etch into the aluminium to get the paint to stick..Otherwise u cant paint alloy surfaces very effectively at all......
You dont need to etch prime any steel.........Standard primer, undercoat will do the trick...........
You have to be aware that the primer hardens up over time....and is poreous, so it absorbs moisture out of the air....even 2k highfill primer....
Where most people run into trouble....is that they let the undercoat set to long before top coat application......48hrs max....escpecially when painting with Group 3 colours and custom tints...

You dot need to etch prime mild steel SIMPLE

If you are painting Alloy however...HELL YEAH ETCH PRIME THE CRAP OUT OF IT....

wow... that is basically exactly what you don't want to do...

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
Etch primer is formulated to form micro holes on a surface to allow the next coat, be it your paint or your 2k primer, to adhere to the surface properly. I would think that because you have taken it down to bare metal you have pretty much polished the surface of the car, therefore an etch would most likely be beneficial to use... phosphoric acid wash also will also eliminate oxidization and etch the steel allowing you to prime straight on top of the bare metal.

Ben

Cracka

Banned :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
Old Sneakers
Ok firstly you need to read what has been specified by the paint manufacturer. Not all acrylic primers are for acrylic topcoats only, what if the Etch primer is a single pack epoxy modified?

The answer is that it can then be topcoated quite easily with a two pack system.

Another thing I wanted to point out about acrylics is that not all acrylics "never fully cure and move" two catagories exist Thermoplastic acrylics can soften and be "remoulded" if heated (Such as buffing) while thermosetting acrylics do not, they remain hard unless exposed to highly active solvents.

Several different paint systems exist and every panel beater and spray painter will have a different opinion, at the end of the day the only thing that matters is chemisty, which is why you should follow the directions given by the paint manufacturer.

I mean no disrespect to anyone just trying to share what I know.