Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

etch primers

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
so just when i think i know something, something else comes along and tells me i know nothing. in this case its etch primer.

so all the way through the impala i have been using etch primer. single part, mixed with a bit of general thinner. goes on well, rubs back flat and nothing has peeled off (so far)

for the VK i have got some 2k etch primer, which i didnt really know existed. and i have a few q's:

1. do i use the etch primer on metal, then use regular primer over the top before paint, or is it ok to just paint over it.

2. whats the main difference between it and the single part primer i was using, and have i potentially caused myself massive grief by using single part on a 2k spray (all the green bits are 2k, ignore the matte black bits)

3. it seems to be realllllly thick, would it be ok to just build up 3 or 4 layers of this to use as a high fill? so just keep layering and then block back flat?

there are prolly more q's but i have forgotten.

cheers

Boostedn14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Single K etch primer is designed to 'bite in' so your primer/ paint sticks and you have no rust coming through from sanding back to bare metal. Generally with etch, you spray it on to your panel then prime straight over the top with your 2k hi fill, do not sand it.

the 2K etch primer sounds to me like a 2k high fill primer with etching properties is what you have.

You should always etch, then prime then paint.

The way i do any prep work on car bodies is, finish off car with 180, high fill with a self etching 2k primer with 3 good coats, with about 10 minutes flash off between coats. Then the next day, block down all primed areas with 240 and the rest goes on blah blah.....

Boostedn14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
its one of those things where you can, but you shouldn't.

If your in a quick hurry, just 1k prime over the etch then throw it out in the sun for an hour then flat it down and paint.

But don't paint over straight etch.

Faynt11

Feeder of Trolls
Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VE SV6 Ute
ok, so here's the deal with 1k (single part) and 2k etch's

1k etch is designed for use with acrylic paint ONLY, you shouldn't use it with a 2k primer it will eventually fail and your paint will peel off, this is because acrylic paint never fully cures and 'moves'.

2k etch is to be used before priming with a 2k hifill, if you want to save a step here, buy a better quality hifill and check with your supplier if it has a built in etch component. dulux, protec, spartan, mipa and a few others make it.

if you have any other questions or live in sydney and want some help/work done hit me up.

Boostedn14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Or, quit all the ####ing around and buy a self etching 2k primer. done

:)

nitrowarrior

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Vt GTS Build 78
AS A GENERAL RULE....

Etch primer is for use on bare ALLOY surfaces...Etch primer is what you use before you paint your tinny
Etch primer is not required with mild steel........Use a Qaulity High fill 2pack under coat and go from there

Boostedn14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
AS A GENERAL RULE....

Etch primer is for use on bare ALLOY surfaces...Etch primer is what you use before you paint your tinny
Etch primer is not required with mild steel........Use a Qaulity High fill 2pack under coat and go from there

So your telling me i don't need to etch any cars i paint?

nitrowarrior

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Vt GTS Build 78
Mate....Look into the Etch Primer ...It is originally supposed to be used to etch into the aluminium to get the paint to stick..Otherwise u cant paint alloy surfaces very effectively at all......
You dont need to etch prime any steel.........Standard primer, undercoat will do the trick...........
You have to be aware that the primer hardens up over time....and is poreous, so it absorbs moisture out of the air....even 2k highfill primer....
Where most people run into trouble....is that they let the undercoat set to long before top coat application......48hrs max....escpecially when painting with Group 3 colours and custom tints...

You dot need to etch prime mild steel SIMPLE

If you are painting Alloy however...HELL YEAH ETCH PRIME THE CRAP OUT OF IT....