Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ethanol Petrol

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
So just wondering what people have to say about Ethanol Petrol.. In the VN/VP..

Im still yet to try it out due to the rumors of people saying its Corrosive and not good for the Engine, altho goverment says it is..

If anybody has tried it, or wants to would be good for a bit of information.. Im eager to give it a shot at my DynoDay for a performance gain.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Dont you get worse fuel consumption with ethanol petrol? Theres another thread on here about it somewhere.

Methanol is the performance booster one they use in some racing IIRC. Might be wrong though.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
A mate of mine, drives a stock Integra, says he gets about 30km less out of a full tank of that E10 fuel. You would save about $5 (max) on a full Commodore tank, but waste $5 of petrol on increased consumption. Not worth it imho.

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
Before I did the intake and CAI on my V6 I used to get better fuel economy, but since I get much worse, something like 10-15% worse. I haven't used E10 in a while due to that.

Ethanol burns faster than petrol, so it will burn up quicker requiring more fuel.

Mr_Slim

Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais Manual
what about methanol? I've heard of it, but how does it actually work?

I've heard it increases performance, but which fuel do you buy, or do you put the methonol in seperately? And how does this go for your car?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
methanol? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's illegal to use on the streets. The EPA would eat you alive ^^ And it's not too safe for use in something like a bog-stock commodore. It's more for race applications. (hence why you can't buy it from the gas stations)

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
I think Ethanol would affect (or eat away) the polymer parts in the engine, thats why I will not use until it's really proven that it is good.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
I have used several tanks of the stuff in my v6 and haven't noticed any difference.

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
Yeah,you can't get methanol at the servos! About the best you can do is put in a tankfull of Optimax and possibly some octane booster. I used to do that with my Golf GTI and it went really well. I'm not sure what it might do to your engine in the long run though!