Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ethanol, producing ur own?

cracker

Reaction score
Been getting into the whole homebrew beer thing lately, recently have been also looking at using a still to produce vodka.
Only thing is you end up with strong strong vodka around 95% alcohol content.

All its made from is sugar, all your really doing is turning sugar into alcohol. Mixing sugar with yeast in an air tight enviroment (anaerobic) it forms your loverly alcohol/ethanol

A still seem like a fairly easily thing to produce its a pretty basic concept, as the diagram shows

Everyone knows that you can buy e10, is there any reason why you couldnt add ethanol to your 98 too boost the octane level?
has anyone had a stab at this?
It all seems to easy in "THEORY" as im pretty sure its illegal to do.

Any input would be great, i know that theres alot of very cleaver people on this forum that no doubt know a hell of alot more about chemistry then i do.

just some more reading about it
Ethanol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Convert Your Car To Alcohol

Attachments

• sugcan3.gif
    sugcan3.gif
    16.4 KB · Views: 294
  • Smithers_still.jpg
    Smithers_still.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 116

GREGWATKINS75

05 VZS UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ S ALLOYTEC 190
one of the last three issuse of street machine addressed this very issue.......Possible highly ilegal in Australia, good read though.

cracker

Reaction score
not saying im going to build one to produce fuel, rather vodka, under 5L is legal i think its a small amount.
just thought it was intresting makes it all seem very simple, abit of in site into how easy it how it all works kinda thing

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I think you will find producing any spirit in Australia is illegal, certain states in the US allow you to own and operate a still if you only produce 5L or less within a certain time frame. So producing your own ethanol is also illegal. Making your own bio-diesel however is perfectly legal. But technically you have to pay tax on what you produce....

cracker

Reaction score
yeah i understand that fully but... you are allowed to make ur own spirits? but the stills volume has to be under 5L which in turn doesnt really yield very much...but theres nothing stopping someone making a massive still, not like your building a meth lab

LisnM8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman 5Litre
yeah i understand that fully but... you are allowed to make ur own spirits? but the stills volume has to be under 5L which in turn doesnt really yield very much...but theres nothing stopping someone making a massive still, not like your building a meth lab

@ $80 dollars a bottle if you get found with moonshine multiply that out by how many bottles you get done with aint really worth it....from what i have herd you can use stills under 5 ltr.....i am sure the fines have increased since since the $80 dollars i quoted.....

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
lol you deserve to get caught if you go out and flaunt it, if your going to do one, do it for yourself and don't go palming them off to all your mates for $10.

It's definately been a few years since i last visited a bottle-o and the homebrew shops have a huge range of spirit flavours! you won't stick to vodka i can tell you that lol.