Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ethonol E10 Petrol, Holden Calais VY 2003

hwy747

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Berlina 5.7L / VW Golf GTi
If you speak to most mechanics they recommend against it. I put it in my V6 VZ when the servo I pull into has no normal unleaded, and my fuel consumption is always higher, not a huge amount, but up to 1L/100km difference. If you do as many km's as me a week, that would start to add up pretty quickly!! I'd avoid it totally if given the chance!!

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I'm not saying E10 is totally harmeless in your averag Commodore or not and at the moment I am using 91 in my Ecotech but I've found that making an informed decision usually involves asking a number of people as well as obtaining your own information. In my experience there are plenty of people (mechanics included) that have not got a clue what they are talking about or know what they are doing. Coments like "I am not putting that **** in my car" are most likely not that well informed.
Ethanol may well corrode fuel systems and if the concentration is high enough damage high performance engines that need 98 octane but wouldn't 91 do the same thing to that engine?
Soon in NSW to avoid E10 the only choice is going to be premium fuel and in an engine designed for 91 anyone driving a lot of km a week is going to get a much bigger fuel bill using that compared to E10 even if the consumption rates vary.
What I have heard is that putting E10 in an older car that may have a lot of sludge or other gunk in it's fuel system will give problems because the ethanol in the fuel will disolve or loosen this stuff which may get in the fuel pump and or injectors so it's usually a good idea to replace the fuel filter after using it for a while in the first instance.
If your Ecotech or Alloytech is factory standard I can't see any reason for the same damage to occur as what happened to that VW using E10, time will tell however if other problems arrise like corrosion in the fuel lines I suppose it depends if the inside of the lines is plated lke the outside.
It's up to the individual to choose if they think E10 is no good and are happy to pay a lot extra for fuel or not.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
street commodores have a write up about e85 and changes need to be done to your engine . i dont know about e10

in the tech page than down to miscellaneous....sorry can t get the link to work

Last edited:

Chriscooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore
I've had an 05 alloytec vz for 9 years and have clocked up over 170,000 km all on e10 without a single issue! As long as you haven't got your right foot buried 100% of the time, and service it at regular intervals it should be fine.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
crikey 10 years should have written the price of petrol down to compare to now
filled up the ute today priced at the bowser 146.9 / L premium 95... she took 42.22ltrs $60.33 including woolies discount $1.69

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
crikey 10 years should have written the price of petrol down to compare to now
filled up the ute today priced at the bowser 146.9 / L premium 95... she took 42.22ltrs $60.33 including woolies discount $1.69

A bit of history ( which is further back than most millennials can absorb) …………… https://fleetautonews.com.au/historical-pump-prices-in-australia/

"I remember when I was young, the world had just begun, and I was happy...…" that in 1966 I was paying about 43c per gallon (10c per Litre) in western Qld.
Can't be bothered with Woolies/Coles vouchers any more. Their prices are more than the same branded fuel at nearby servos, so you end up 'saving'
1 > 2c per litre. Whoopee duck.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
filled up the ute today priced at the bowser 146.9 / L premium 95....

Ahhhhh if only it was 146.9 cpl..... 91 is more than that, think i pay $1.70 for 95. Normally $110-$115 to fill the ute from almost empty.. Only place that sells e10 is United and their fuel is ****. Lots of people use it but a number of people have problems when using it.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
A bit of history ( which is further back than most millennials can absorb) …………… https://fleetautonews.com.au/historical-pump-prices-in-australia/

"I remember when I was young, the world had just begun, and I was happy...…" that in 1966 I was paying about 43c per gallon (10c per Litre) in western Qld.
Can't be bothered with Woolies/Coles vouchers any more. Their prices are more than the same branded fuel at nearby servos, so you end up 'saving'
1 > 2c per litre. Whoopee duck.
i use this fuel site it shows every servo in newcastle or your location . i live in new lambton and the price of fuel can very a lot between suburbs warabrook was the cheapest by 3 cents a litre to all other caltex outlets
https://www.fuelcheck.nsw.gov.au/ap...1.7181147&nearbyme=true&fuelType=E10&radius=3 and this real time

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
The Caltex and Woolies servos in Tighes Hill are usually close in pricing on the odd occasion that I drive past, and the cheapest (and nastiest ?) are the two Uni Ted servos at Williamtown.
Probably nothing wrong with Ted's fuel, they have a huge turnover there, but I just won't use it because if I do, I can see the increase in my consumption.

Interesting about the Caltex/Mobil/Puma rebranding. Puma is everywhere in Qld, and my fuel consumption with that goes out the exhaust. When I get back to NSW BP or Caltex, it improves back to what I expect. A mystery of life.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
I used 7 11 special regular wich contains ethonol in a corrola ddnt last long km wise was cheap though ddnt work out the diference