Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

eurovox head unit problems

A+d+a+m

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Series II R8 Clubsport Build 295
I have either the eurovox 8490v or 84901v head unit in my series 2 vs calais..
which ever one comes with the 10 stacker CD player

the unit works great and i would really like to keep it.. but recently a bought a tape that lets you plug your ipod into it to get the sound going through the cars system.. when i placed the tape in the deck it accepted the tape but then got jammed.. eventually the tape ejected but when either the ipod tape or a normal tape was inserted the deck would not do anything.. the tape would slide in but the unit would not pull the tape down to the reading heads or even go into tape mode.. neither the tape button or eject buttons function now.. when a tape is put in or the tape button is pressed the unit just sits there doing whatever is was doing before i pressed the button or put the tape in.. so i had to remove the tape by hand with pliers.. i did this carefully so i didn't damage the unit..

i was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to a solution to this problem?

thanx

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
You have a couple of options....

1) have someone try to repair the tape player at an initial cost of about $80 just for someone to look at it and tell you the new parts required are no longer in production.

2) Purchase a second hand one from a wreckers or ebay and wait two weeks for the same thing to happen.

3) Spend about $150 and put in a half decent CD head Unit that will last you a long time.

I had the Eurovox tape player and stacker in mine. The stacker in the boot failed. I bought a second hand one at a cost of $200 (I'm an idiot, I know). Installed that and it lasted two weeks before that failed! Not long after the tape player failed also so I put in a Pioneer head unit. Just the after market head unit alone is a massive improvement in sound quality.

Not long after that I was rear ended and the already broken stacker was smashed so insurance payed out for the cost of a new Pioneers 12 stacker professionally installed.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
LOL, good story that one and even better advice....

Hint: go with option 3 ;)

Mike S

Car Audio Pro
Reaction score
Option 3 is my best advice too, and by the way ... when you removed the tape with pliers you DID damage the mechanism, I've seen it a hundred times.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Option 3 is my best advice too, and by the way ... when you removed the tape with pliers you DID damage the mechanism, I've seen it a hundred times.

My tapes didn't get stuck. They just kept getting chewed up.

A+d+a+m

Reaction score
Members Ride
well i grabbed the tape with the pliers and it just came out.. it didn't have any force holding it in or anything so yeah

i was gona get a new head unit eventually..
what wld be a good buy for the calais? coz i still wana be able to use the steering wheel controlz nd all that stuff.

i kno those stackers a dodgy but mines working fine considering it was installed not long b4 i got the car.. the original owner bought it from holden in 1996 i think i was.. nd neva installed it.. i duno why but yeah.. when it dies then idc ill just rip it out nd get a new one =p

A+d+a+m

Reaction score
Members Ride
oh yeah and i forgot to mention the reason why i posted this was because the same thing happened with my Vr Calais i had b4 it got rear ended.. i removed the tape the same way as i did with the head unit in my current car.. the difference is the tape player in the Vr kept working.. that's whats got me confused =s