Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EV conversions to Commodores?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

The ECOmmodore ....... yes, just shows how much Holden was ahead of the game back then. Great shape based on the Monaro, 2 litre FWD Hybrid.
Big splash of publicity, then nothing. GM nose out of joint ? :mad:

GM have an electric crate motor, 1000hp and 1000ft/lb of torque. That would be a great starting point!

An electric Falcodore with a computer generated soundtrack of a flat-plane V8 at about 8,000 rpm ? :cool:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That is an interesting thought, to have an electric motor with turbo bolt pattern bell housing (or other common patterns) and then multiple different engine mount options so that it can be sold as a kit for many different engine replacements

The kits done by Zero EV don’t have transmissions as such.

They do bolt in packages for Porsche. The brakes and drive shafts stay. Instead of a gear shifter, it’s a knob with R N D

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
That is an interesting thought, to have an electric motor with turbo bolt pattern bell housing (or other common patterns) and then multiple different engine mount options so that it can be sold as a kit for many different engine replacements

The electric motor doesnt even need a transmission so the motor can be mounted where the transmission would usually be and where the motor would normally be would be batteries. Then you would just provide adaptors for the mounting points and a tailshaft adaptor. Job done.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
There was a consortium back in 2012 called EV Engineering that built and electric motor assembly that replaced the whole rear diff assembly in a commodore. It was to use a quick battery replacement system (pushed by one of the consortium members, Better Place who wanted to be in the battery lease/swap business which I thought was the wrong direction. In contrast Musk had the better view that battery tech and quick charge methods would improved quickly)...

Supposedly this trial spent $26M and got rather close to releasing an EV commodore for $10k less than the GM volt... but it went nowhere and died... The remaining IP was picked up by the last of the consortium members AxiFlux but I haven’t heard/read if their interesting tech went anywhere :(

Wonder if any of these prototypes were ever sold?

Now, some 8 years later, and with many companies doing retro EV conversions around the globe, I’m sure there are lots of options if one wants to got down that path...

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah was a 10sec EV powered 1200 datto sedan a decade or so back.

Think there is also Mustang with couple hundred gran worth of EV gear in it & vaguely remember Kombi van on youtube that's EV powered.

Reactions: Lex

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
The electric motor doesnt even need a transmission so the motor can be mounted where the transmission would usually be and where the motor would normally be would be batteries. Then you would just provide adaptors for the mounting points and a tailshaft adaptor. Job done.
Yes but not having a transmission limits there top speeds. So maybe a smaller E-motor to a stock 4l60e (and shorter diff / higher ratio). Or a stock 2spd power Glide and electric motor.

2 gears with electric motors and super capacitors seem to be the next things in the EV world

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Yes but not having a transmission limits there top speeds. So maybe a smaller E-motor to a stock 4l60e (and shorter diff / higher ratio). Or a stock 2spd power Glide and electric motor.

2 gears with electric motors and super capacitors seem to be the next things in the EV world

Not really. The motors used in Tesla’s EVs go to about 18000 rpm. If you hooked the motor directly to the driveshaft and kept the stock diff (effectively the same as running a transmission with a 1 to 1 ratio) it wouldn’t even be hitting half its maximum rpm at 200kph.

I haven’t done the maths but I’d hazard a guess that your theoretical maximum top speed would be well over 400kph using the stock diff as the theoretical maximum on the VE V8 manual is over 400kph with a 0.57 top gear ratio.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Not really. The motors used in Tesla’s EVs go to about 18000 rpm. If you hooked the motor directly to the driveshaft and kept the stock diff (effectively the same as running a transmission with a 1 to 1 ratio) it wouldn’t even be hitting half its maximum rpm at 200kph.

I haven’t done the maths but I’d hazard a guess that your theoretical maximum top speed would be well over 400kph using the stock diff as the theoretical maximum on the VE V8 manual is over 400kph with a 0.57 top gear ratio.
So we agree that it needs to be geared appropriately.

The EV I took for a thrash accelerated like a mad dog, but rate of acceleration really tapered off in the upper rpm range (probably the last 15kph before max of 184) and any more low range would have realied alot heavier on electronic aids. A 2speed box would have put it up to 250+ but obviously added weight and complexity.
Pretty sure it was a 24000rpm motor with gear reduction to put it in the right range.

I don't know enough about the Tesla to compare.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Who in Australia can legally drive at 184 kph? Answer, no one...

A multi speed geatbox will result in the need to carry an extra 30 or 40 odd kgs for no other reason than top speed bragging rights :rolleyes:

If you're going to carry extra weight, id rather two, three or even 4 smaller motors for software controlled 4x4 with torque vectoring ;)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Who in Australia can legally drive at 184 kph? Answer, no one...

A multi speed geatbox will result in the need to carry an extra 30 or 40 odd kgs for no other reason than top speed bragging rights :rolleyes:

If you're going to carry extra weight, id rather two, three or even 4 smaller motors for software controlled 4x4 with torque vectoring ;)
I agree. 184 was plenty fast enough if only used on public roads. But sitting at make speed from 3/4 track (drag strip) is a bit lame when other bikes cross the line at 200+ kph