Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ever get strange calls on your landline?

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone out there is going through the same thing as me and my mate and possibly knows what it is.

On the Friday 1st September between 12:00PM - 2:00PM I recieved three phone calls. The first two I would go to answer the phone and say hello, I hear silence for about 2 seconds then it disconnects. Third time I let it ring out and did a *10#, only to find out it's a private number.

I was concerned at the time but had since forgotten about it, then today (Thursday 7th September) at 12:51PM and 1:15PM I got the same sort of call, 2 second silence and hanged up.

I talked to my mate and he said he'd been getting similar calls as well at around midday.

I've ruled out the mobile phone scam that they ring for 1 second leaving the number in the hopes you'll call them back since they didn't leave a number (private number) and the third time on the first day I let the phone ring until it rang out. I asked everyone I could think of and no one was trying to call me.

I was thinking someone wanting to rob our house and seeing if I'm home or a disgruntled eBayer but hearing how my friend was getting them as well I ruled them out.

So wondering, do you or anyone you know receive weird phone calls like this, or have any idea what it could possibly be? Also share your own tales of phone scams in the hope of educating others :thumbsup:

EDIT: Sorry forgot to mention we're in Victoria. Also he thinks its some kind of scam where when you answer you get charged but that doesn't seem possible?

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
two nights ago i got a call on my mobile from a private number at 1:45am. i just pressed silence and thought nothing of it.

last night, same thing again except at 11pm. i hung it up and next thing i know i had a voice message. it was 3 minutes long and was backround noise, like the person didnt hang it up properly. i thought i could hear a female voice, over 20 years old, and a girls voice, maybe only 5 years old. i tried to work out what they were saying but i couldnt :(

jacko

Reaction score
Yes! I have been getting calls like this a lot! haven't had many in the past few weeks though, touch wood.
For a few weeks i'd been getting calls everyday, where they'd ring (a private/withheld number would come up) and there'd be silence.
one time i think i said something to scare them (something like 'i have your number'), as they started to talk irratically, they were pretending to be a telemarketer (and it was completely obvious that they were pretending).

It is odd though, I thought they were trying to scope out a plan to rob my house by figuring out when I was home, but I'm not sure......

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
It's really funny you should say that. I have got a few calls like this. I think it might be telimarketers from over seas and the voip system fails or something?

I'm glad i'm not the only one. I'm in QLD

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Get them all the bloody time it drives me nuts. I am at the point where if its a private no. I don't bother answering cos its either a hanger up or telemarketer. I've had weird calls b4 where I have answered the phone and then my phone starts to call somewhere so I just hang up immediately in that instance. Now I figure if its someone I know their no. will show up, if its important they have my mob. no, and if its anyone else legitimate calling with a private no. it gets screened through my answering machine.

Funny story, a couple of weeks ago we were getting heaps of the ring and hangup calls and hubby was getting p%^&ed off so when the next private no. calls and no one spoke for a couple of seconds he yelled F%^& OFF at them. Then he hears hello this is so and so from the commonwealth bank.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
I heard this is a simple probing tactic

they find a phone# near their area, use a payphone, call it, see if anyones home, if not, they scope the house for burglary.

could just be two bit tossers.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Patrio7 said:
I heard this is a simple probing tactic

they find a phone# near their area, use a payphone, call it, see if anyones home, if not, they scope the house for burglary.

could just be two bit tossers.

How would they know where I live though? Our numbers private, this is a really alarming post :cry:

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Julie said:
Funny story, a couple of weeks ago we were getting heaps of the ring and hangup calls and hubby was getting p%^&ed off so when the next private no. calls and no one spoke for a couple of seconds he yelled F%^& OFF at them. Then he hears hello this is so and so from the commonwealth bank.

Ohh thats a classic....

I dont answer my land line its not worth it, the only calls i get on that are telemarketers....Land line used for Dail-up thats it no calls outgoin\

Anyone who wants to ring me they call the mobile.....

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Years ago my brother and his girlfriend got a couple of calls from turkeys asking if they needed their roof restored and other crap. They were likely planning to rob the house.

Just remember folks, if you have an answering machine and you are getting private numbers, let them leave a message. 99.9% of the time they won't. If the phone call is important, people with ALWAYS leave a message.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
darkcold said:
How would they know where I live though? Our numbers private, this is a really alarming post :cry:
it isnt hard to find someones name and address from just their phone number. but as you said, you have a private # so it is a bit suss.

test time... someone post a phone number that isnt private and ill see if i can get the name and address. make sure you include the area code. and just to make sure im not using google... type it in there first :p