Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Everyone talks about mafless tuning, is there such thing as maf tuning?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
I've never heard of that ..
Seen plenty of cars pass rwc with maps instead of mafs

theres a difference between "passing rwc" and being legal, seeing as some rwc places will overlook things that arent going to cause danger. deleting the maf is modifying the way the ecu controls the air/fuel ratios, which in turn affects emissions output.

Matt346

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Berlina 5.7 A4 Wagon
theres a difference between "passing rwc" and being legal, seeing as some rwc places will overlook things that arent going to cause danger. deleting the maf is modifying the way the ecu controls the air/fuel ratios, which in turn affects emissions output.

That's correct hakhawk, MAFless tuning on a vehicle that originally had a MAF is technically illegal but it seems most cars still RWC'd with it and sold no problems.

The EPA laws are here:
http://epanote2.epa.vic.gov.au/EPA/publications.nsf/2f1c2625731746aa4a256ce90001cbb5/c90ec843f3bbbe8fca256d9f00181c59/$FILE/1031.pdf

I'm still interested in getting a MAF tune, since with my car I don't see any point going the extra dollars to go an OTR + MAFless for the gain it gets over a MAF tune. Also I like the stock look and the appeal of staying within the laws a bit more.

Still wondering, who's got a MAF tune and where'd they get it done? I'm looking for a place in Melbourne.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
you dont NEED an otrcai when you go mafless, its just thats what most people do as it offers even less restriction than a stock airbox.

id suggest looking for the howto on the 2 hole airbox mod on the forum.

koztek55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 5.7 6spd
Still wondering, who's got a MAF tune and where'd they get it done? I'm looking for a place in Melbourne.

Almost every LS/performance tuner gives you the option whether you want a maf tune or a mafless tune, there really isnt a huge difference in price considering places like gm motorsport were doing deals with an otr and mafless tune for $900, police usually dont pic on having no maf, i actually was EPA'd recently by the actual epa officer, they grilled me for not having a maf, the cops had a look and didnt give 2 sh*ts, they police are more worried about excessive noise....

hope that helps in some way, but yes as stated you can also go for the 2 hole mod.

IMO the car runs a lot better without the maf in the way, but thats just my 2 cents.

cheers,
kosta

Matt346

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Berlina 5.7 A4 Wagon
Cheers guys, I have the two hole mod with the MCAI. I realise you can go MAFless without having an OTR, and can even get OTRs these days that work with a MAF in place... but if I was gonna go MAFless I reckon it'd be worth getting the OTR and making the most of not having a MAF, if that makes sense.

I rang a couple of places and some seemed to say they don't really do MAF tunes, others seem to not push one way or another.

That's interesting kosta about the EPA guy, what do they do when the EPA you? Hope you got off alright with it..!

koztek55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 5.7 6spd
That's interesting kosta about the EPA guy, what do they do when the EPA you? Hope you got off alright with it..!

I got done for excessive noise, and in regards to not having a maf it was a fine for knowing changing emissions control on the vehicle, was a lovely $611 fine, all sorted now