Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Everyone talks about mafless tuning, is there such thing as maf tuning?

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
sorry it probly has been covered a million times but i can't find anywhere!
i have a very very stock s2 vx ss, i don't wanna spend big $$ all i want to do is nice cat back, high flow panel filter ( it has some kind of cai looks factory) ( 1 duct facing up next to the radiator and 1 pipe going behind the head light)

i want the car to look stock still so the air box has to stay,
so my question is, is there maf tuning and what do they tune? what does it cost and where in melb (near epping im from) can i talk to?

thanks

The_Senator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSv M6 QuickSilver
MAF Tuning is real.. It simply means they leave the MASS AIR FLOW (MAF) Meter in place to measure the incoming air, instead of calculating it when you go MAFLESS...

Same tune style really, just a little more refining with MAFLESS... MAF Tuning will always be cheaper - as there is less to do!

Hope this helps

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
great help who does it?? and how much?? lol and what kind of improvement with just catbak and high flow panel?

another question is there much difference in 'off the shelf' cat backs? i have heard a twin 2 1/2 inch red back sounded good, but i was told not to go red back and go sureflo in the same size? as i said don't wanna spend to much

The_Senator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSv M6 QuickSilver
Mate.. You can either go with a MailOrder tune, that is a generic one.. Or you can go a Custom tune, where your car gets dyno time and the tune is done specific for your car..

Who does them - Where are you in this wide world? MailOrder can be done by many people - and can be posted out... Custom you'll have to go to the company...

Exhausts - are really up to you.. XForce, KPM, Sureflo.. How much do you want to spend, what noise and does drone annoy you..

Help any?

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
You can tune the vehilce both with or without the MAF. In the case of the LSx engines significant gains are generally had by removing the MAF, and tuning it to suit. This usually results in more power, better economy and the like. Factory tunes although quite complex, are quite "safe"... IMO I'd keep the stock airbox, remove the MAF and run something like the smooth GTS MAF(less) pipe and get a mail order.

As for exhaust, any twin 2.5" will suffice, XForce, Sureflo, DiFilipo are some of the better ones.

cracker

Reaction score
dont bother tuning it unless your getting rid of the maff

get a vx gts intake pipe looks factory, because its a factory part

the $650 i spent getting a maffless plus the headers, exhaust rockers, cai and intake pipe, is the cheapest increase in power iv ever found
2000k went from 158 rwkw too 234rwkw, the car drive nicer, sounds better uses less fuel, idle is much smoother its almost like another car too drive, imo if you havent got a maffless done and you own an ls1 series vechical and have any interest at all in the way it drives youd get a mafless tune done.

i got mine done at lsx garage and im wrapped with it.

ARATIC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hot House VY SS
dont bother tuning it unless your getting rid of the maff

Not quite true, you will still gain 25-30kw going with a maf tune. The only difference with mafless is your losing the restriction of the air having to go through the maf, which I was told by my tuner is worth around 10kw

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Since you wanna keep it looking stock maf tune is the way to go, your gains will be minimal keeping the stock airbox an what not, the reason for going mafless is the maf is a restriction so is the stockbox an convoluted pipe(spelling) thats why most people also get an OTR so bang for buck is not there the way you wanna go but you will get gains IMO just not worth the money spent. Xplode performance do them they are sponsors on here hit them up.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
A good tuner should be able to get a maf tune very close to a mafless tune.

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
im from Whittlesea, i don't wanna spend much

thats why im thinking cat back (i think im gonna go sureflo) and yeh im after a quietish exhaust with better flow and a high flow panel filter
im not after big power just want to get sum kind of tune into it, thats y im after maf tune. just want it to look as stock as i can

but every1 thanks for the help so far!!