Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Everything to know about VB - VKs

This thread a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 227 99.1%
  • No (please explain why)

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters

bertusmcspurtus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE 308
very cool

This is an awesome Idea! Well done and keep it comin please. For an amateur mechanic (very amateur) This is a big help. I am very interested in the twin thermos. I live in the Tropics (Townsville) very hot and want to convert from my viscous fan to twin thermos. From a VT? Sounds like a plan. I will get them from the wreckers (already sourced) mount them and then take the car to auto sparky for wiring. :thumbsup:

V-ahhh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN/VT
maybe add the thread i made about the holley carb to 202 black?

nizmovk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon
Just a few things I've come across on the VK + RB30 coversion.
The easiest way is to get a whole donor car; as there is so many little bits that are begged and borrowed, from bolts, to relays and fuel lines etc.
The whole VL engine loom is needed(obviously) as is extra wiring to run to the fuel pump by the tank and fuse relay for it. Only do your own wiring if you are very patient!
I used the Vl hydro clutch, so used the VL pedalbox, which meant dash out and steering column on both cars to remove and swap. Also a bit of filing to the fire wall to get the hole for clutch cyl to fit through.

nizmovk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon
To solve the Nissan g'box to trans x-member hassle I got a std Chev g'box mount from the Mount Shop (NZ). It bolted staight up and needs no welding ie.engineers cert etc

Mike_M

Reaction score
Website
www.iinet.net.au
Members Ride
VL Calais Turbo 1986 twin tyres
There has been some interest in new fuserails for VKs, as most here might
already know the VL one will fit but better to get an upgraded unit that has
fuse fail inidcation. Wiring on older cars can get frayed and damaged as the
PVC cracks etc. Here is an upgraded unit that is a DIY kit but will need one
minor mode for the fuel pump for the Calais series, comes off fuse 4 and
goes to an accessory fuse 16 for example with a link to ignition, the pic
of the current matt black design shows quite well in this link:-

http://niche.iinet.net.au

Cheers

ps: there is an option for an engine bay illumination set of lights and auto timer
with pushbutton on the fuserail etc

Last edited:

nizmovk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon
just another add to the RB+VK conversion.... you gotta change the VK ign plug and switch with a VL one... took me a while to figure it out though...

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
This is an excellent idea,
would be good to consolidate All posts regarding the following topics from the last couple of years;

VK Digital Dashes
LPG Troubleshooting - Electrical

perhaps a page to all the GMH wiring schematics for various models - I have all the VK ones from the Factory Holden manual and will make them available on here when I get round to scanning them. Some of them have been posted on this site before though.

A link in here to Scott VKBerlina Madman's website which is full of VERY useful information.
Consolidation of all transmission threads and maybe a sheet with all the gear ratios for each gear for the various transmissions optioned from VB to VK as well as a speedo gear chart.

I think if this is continued with and filled only with reliable and accurate info it will be a good reference point for younger owners...

commodoreriverview1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh commodore sl
vh varajet carby

hi i have been having a lot of trouble with carby i have gone through 4 s/h carbys in the past 4 months all have had jets collapse what can i do to rectify this on going problem:)

megs24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Wagon, black motor
weber onto vk black motor

hi there, i have a vk commodore wagon that me and my best mate are driving around australia. i have a weber of an XF that i want to put onto the black motor. i already have the adaptor plate. does anyone know where i could find some info on how to do it? have workshop manual for VK but no info on the weber, cheers
megs