Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

evoke fuel consumption figures?

rudi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
Is the Evoke really any better than the old VE series 2 Omega/Berlina?
whatcha all getting in the sedans and wagons?
Looking at the torque curves they seem like a bit more grunty 4 cylinder type?
The Max torque hits mid 2000 rpm so a bit earlier than a general 4 cylinder that hits about 4000rpm mostly.
Then it appears to not loose a lot of that max torque up to 6000 rpm. Where most 4 cylinders loose all torque not much after 4500 rpm.
Am I reading it right? Yeah I know the Evoke isn't a SV6 but they are heaps cheaper

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Is the Evoke really any better than the old VE series 2 Omega/Berlina?

Yes, and in so many more ways than fuel economy. Take each for a drive and you'll soon see what I mean.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Looking at the torque curves they seem like a bit more grunty 4 cylinder type?
The Max torque hits mid 2000 rpm so a bit earlier than a general 4 cylinder that hits about 4000rpm mostly.
Then it appears to not loose a lot of that max torque up to 6000 rpm. Where most 4 cylinders loose all torque not much after 4500 rpm.
I think that, these days, and with the ability to actually tune an engine unlike back in the carby days, you're probably not really comparing "4cyl" to "6cyl"; it's probably simpler to compare to a 3L engine of the same era that's pulling around a similar sized car.
3L 4cyl engines are pretty few & far in between, for modern cars at least.

eg. you've mentioned 4 cylinder cars losing torque after ~4500rpm … quick check, and FT86 goes to 6500rpm before dropping off. Even the old 4AGE started to drop off at about 6000rpm, 35 years ago.
Evoke engine is 150% the size of an FT86 engine … and has ~150% the max torque. :)

rudi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
Thanks
Forg I don't know the vehicles you mentioned. I was thinking the similar age Camry Accord type cars. The Evoke Omega has a bit more torque to weight and power to weight than those 2. Though the Evoke Omega torque graph shows the torque line rise nearly vertical at 2500 rpm were as the other 2 cars and most other similar type 4 cylinders rise and arc across to their peak torque at about 4000 rpm. but their power doesn't rise much more at that point So I would assume they become a bit breathless as the torque drops off more drastically.
Looking at the turbo 4 cylinders graphs they sort of look similar in shape to the Evoke Omega, near straight up to their peak torque early at around 2000/3000 rpm. But the holdens hold their torque fairly constant to 6000 rpm and the power can still rise up to and a bit beyond that same point which I thought would mean the holdens don't become breathless till those 2 lines intersect??

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Had mine at about 7-8l/100km of just highway driving before. If I’ve gotten about 12.3l/100km or under according to the trip computer of just in town driving I class it as a good run. But my feet aren’t made out of feathers either...

rudi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive
Thanks Z31na
8 and 12 seem ok to me
How would you describe its performance?
Like a stronger largish 4 cylinder motor
Or
About the same go as a 4 cylinder

thinking around the 2.4/2.5 litre engines

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Engine certainly doesn’t have to work as hard as my partners 2.0l mazda 3 in everyday driving. Its enough of a difference to give you a reserve if you need to go a little bit faster to make a gap or something without making you look and sound like a tool.
My day job involves driving a 4cy diesel triton and a 1.2l 3cyl Nissan Micra. Both bery depressing cars. Needless to say I look forward to my Lunch breaks where I can jump back in my “real” car.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The 2.4L and 2.5L 4cyl engines they put in pretty-much anything sold here (anything family at least) are very much down on power & torque compared to the 3L ... Alloytec was it called? Most are around the 130kW mark vs the Commodore’s 190kW, and the weights are generally fairly similar too (eg. 4cyl Camry at ~1500kg plays Evoke at ~1600kg).

Most brands offering a family car of that ilk have a V6 offering that’s got power/consumption closer to the Commodore. Except Mazda.

Last edited:

VCoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Calais SW LS3 MY16
Just my opinion. I had a 3L VE SIDI - slight incline one gear lower needed compared to 3.6L VF SIDI - and much different to current far more potent 6.2L V8 VF (V8 is no comparison re driving pleasure (a keeper for me and best choice I made)).
Very rough comparison: found the 3L was great for highway economy 100km/hr, about 1L/100km less than the 3.6L which is 1-2L/100km less than the V8. 3.6L is noisy when at revs - your best option is as suggested previously drive the 2 sixes in traffic and in the hills - a litre of fuel every 100km is not a lot - also if towing is required out of the 2 sixes I would go for the 3.6L personally.

I don't drive a lot in traffic now but if I did I would go for the 3.6L as the Commodore is too heavy for the 3L which needs to work much harder to get going. Not sure re resale but would assume the 3L may depreciate more than the 3.6L.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Then it appears to not loose a lot of that max torque up to 6000 rpm.

For the 3L I think this would largely be because of tune as it's supposed to be pitched as the fuel efficient economy offering. Above 2k RPM is not where most people who would buy something with this engine would drive.

If you've ever driven one of the 1.4t Cruzes it's the same there as well.

Last edited: