Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Evoke mylink swap

Shaynerusso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF EVOKE
Hey guys I was wondering if it was possible to change over my evoke mylink to the sv6 model? My car is sting red and I’d like my screen to match... found a cheap one on marketplace but not sure if I can plug and play. Cheers

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I believe MyLink stores a VIN within an eeprom located on the main circuit board. When the vehicle is turned on, MyLink checks its stored VIN against that stored within the ECU. If this VIN check fails, then MyLink won’t play nice...

So if you get a MyLink from another vehicle, then you’d need to change the stored VIN within that unit. Luckily, the VIN is stored in the clear (not encrypted), so you can dump the eeprom contents to a file. You can then edit the VIN within the file and then write the new file to the eeprom (though I’d guess some checksum(s) may also need to be sorted after the edit).

@forge has sorted out all this stuff so see this thread for info ;)

Just take note that the SV6 screen colour is defined by a configuration files that service can write to MyLink. But service can only write those configurations as defined against your VIN which are stored within GM’s database. So you need to ensure that any dealer service doesn’t undo your work some time in future (whether this is a real or perceived risk, I’m not sure).

PS: if hacking things yourself sounds like too much stuffing around, see this post from Envious Customs :)

Last edited:

Shaynerusso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF EVOKE
Cheers for the info... I’ll stick with my blue screen