Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ex Police Cars

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
yeh look underneath for a bash plate under the sump is probably the easiest way

SSFUNKEL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX 202, VR BT1, VZ SS 6.0 GEN IV
A lot of people give the Ex Cop cars **** 'muh they're not chipped' blah blah. Get in a stock commy and get in a Bt-1. you'll tell the difference in the first press of the accelerator. Not sure what it is, but they're hell of a lot pokier, lumpier and shift better than a stock commy. After all they do need to keep up with crims in cars with all different power ranges. :/ (It's a secret) Anyway Scored my mum an old 94 VR dee car, the clock had stopped at 470,000 k's engine still goes good. has a check engine light now though and is in limp mode. Could tell it was BT-1 Just from how it drove. I have a 94 Vr ex patrol car bought from old guy that got it at Auction 140,000 km's I drove it hard didn't realize radiator was leaking and seized the eng. So it shows just as people say there's good and bad. My dumb young ass didn't help with not checking the coolant. that was back in 2007. finally got round to put another engine in. few months and timing went wacko after hitting driveway hard so changed CAS No luck, still won't start. Changed coil pack DFI. ECU no change, Swapped Throttle body with the 2 sensors, cam sensor, checked comp all good cept 0% on the especially easy rear one by brake booster cylinder. But the sucker will not fire. it pre fires back fires. Any ideas? I may start a new thread on my prob. Still gotta love all the free extras on the ex govt cars.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I know it's an old thread, but buying an ex-cop car compared to a second hand car, no-one knows whether it has been flogged or not. They do service them reguarly....They are checked over, after a pursuit, with the main attention focused on the brakes.

Chips in cop cars....A load of crap.....Unless, they didn't clean the car properly after being to maccas and had spilt some....I have driven cop cars...No difference in acceleration....Slight difference in handling, due to the upgraded suspension....If it seems as though they are quicker off the mark, it's because your brain in thinking, geez, I'm in a cop car, so it must be quicker...I have driven commodores and landcruisers....

Yes, I do own an ex-cop car...It's not a commodore, but a 77 valiant.....Has 450,000 original kays on the motor....(got the books with the car, when I bought it, so I was able to check the engine number with the books)....It's not as quick as other V8 powered valiants, but with 450,000K on the motor, doesn't surprise me.

Would I buy an ex-cop car...Sure would....Good chance it's got a good service history and at least you know, it probably has been flogged, where as other cars on the market, it's pot luck if it has been serviced (unless the history is supplied), but you have no idea if it has been flogged

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I've had two BT1s....a VK for 6 1/2 years followed by a VS for nearly 19 years.

Neither of them had any problems that any other car of the same model didn't have.

yamahahatim

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss crewman
I purchased a x detective vx from auction, and have not had any dramas..
Worst thing was manifold gaskets... In over 13 years of ownership....

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
A lot of people give the Ex Cop cars **** 'muh they're not chipped' blah blah. Get in a stock commy and get in a Bt-1. you'll tell the difference in the first press of the accelerator. Not sure what it is, but they're hell of a lot pokier, lumpier and shift better than a stock commy. After all they do need to keep up with crims in cars with all different power ranges. :/ (It's a secret) Anyway Scored my mum an old 94 VR dee car, the clock had stopped at 470,000 k's engine still goes good. has a check engine light now though and is in limp mode. Could tell it was BT-1 Just from how it drove. I have a 94 Vr ex patrol car bought from old guy that got it at Auction 140,000 km's I drove it hard didn't realize radiator was leaking and seized the eng. So it shows just as people say there's good and bad. My dumb young ass didn't help with not checking the coolant. that was back in 2007. finally got round to put another engine in. few months and timing went wacko after hitting driveway hard so changed CAS No luck, still won't start. Changed coil pack DFI. ECU no change, Swapped Throttle body with the 2 sensors, cam sensor, checked comp all good cept 0% on the especially easy rear one by brake booster cylinder. But the sucker will not fire. it pre fires back fires. Any ideas? I may start a new thread on my prob. Still gotta love all the free extras on the ex govt cars.

13 year thread dig to waffle on with a complete load of nonsense. WTF is wrong with people?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
And it's not even school holidays yet.......