Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Excessive amount of Smoke from Exhaust After Injectors changed.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
hows the oil filter blocked up ,hows the gunk in the pvc valve how many ks

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Maybe you cracked the wire to one of your camshaft position sensors. Easy to do when you are fussing over the stuff around the plenum. Those wires at this time are brittle from age.

My car is bog standard too, and I just went through it. Changed my injectors. Same thing. Running rough, blowing insane clouds of smoke. There are no codes when it first happens and is intermittent.

Oh it drove me insane, cause I thought it was fuel related. I started with the fuel sender unit and the filter in there, cleaned the tank, and then moved onto changing the o-rings in all the quick release clips for the fuel lines. I tried different injectors like you, and a new throttle position sensor. I finally sent my computer overseas to Kevin Stigant in Perth, only to find there was nothing wrong with it.

Eventually I could not even start the car. Kevin told me check the wiring. I found the crack just back from the camshaft position sensor, under the first bit of tape, cause it was the obvious place to look.

1596629111051.png

The thread for the whole ordeal is here.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/fuel-sender-unit.278951/

I could have saved myself such grief and muchos $$$ with a dab of solder, ha ha. Hope it saves you.

I have tried out heaps of injectors in my car cause of this problem, by the way.

The contributors here know what they are talking about. I hope I can shout them all a beer some day. (Thanks to everyone, over the last few years my car went from total wreck to being 100% problem free, as it came from the factory. Took a few years, but I just got there a few days ago. Really appreciate.)

But I bought some cheap ones from Aliexpress, cause I am busted up.

They are indistinguishable from the originals in any way, cause I was dissecting to find the issue.

They were better than the originals cleaned up by myself, and originals cleaned up at an injector shop with new filters fitted (you can get the wee filters from Aliexpress, in the outboard motor section, cause it is hard to get the originals out without them disintegrating this far down the track).

They work awesome once you fix that wire ha ha. Motor sounds so crisp once the fuel system is clean and you put brand new ones in.

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If a problem only arises after work was done, chances are it is related to what you did. Broken wire, missed plug, an earth not put back, dirty connections. Something is not as it was before you touched it.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
A 747 blew up due to a wiring short causing gasses in the main centre tank to explode... From memory the solution was to keep the centre tank full of fuel and topped up with inert gas so as to cope with such shorts occurring... that was because touching such old wiring to repair was considered way too risky.

Within our cars, the engine bay wiring is obviously not as safety critical in the same sense and much more cost focused in the design and construction. As such they suffer from embrittlement of the insulation due to heat cycling and oil contamination (oil wicking up the copper strands due to poorly constructed terminations...).

And wiring faults are always a pain to fault find, especially without wiring diagrams but repairing embrittled/oil soaked wiring is a losers game...

Don't know how available or expensive the various looms within the engine bay are, but it’s always worth considering replacement them if they are indeed in poor condition due to insulation embrittlement and /or oil wicking. Guess it all depends on whether such looms are indeed available and not too costly.

geeman77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Wagon
Thanks for all of your replies. I really appreciate it.

To answer a few more things. Engine has 195,000kms.

Oil filter new. Not blocked. PCV was a bit dirty but fully cleaned and pipe inspected as was all good.

I took the car to my Mechanic to get the car scanned with a better scan tool than what I have. It is now showing up p1013. Intake Camshaft Actuator Park Position Bank 2.

Possible Stretched timing chain???

Going to get the car home and rethink where we want to head with it. But in the meantime I will check the wiring again especially the camshaft position sensor.

Eventually I could not even start the car. Kevin told me check the wiring. I found the crack just back from the camshaft position sensor, under the first bit of tape, cause it was the obvious place to look.

Kevin's are usually good blokes :)

If a problem only arises after work was done, chances are it is related to what you did. Broken wire, missed plug, an earth not put back, dirty connections. Something is not as it was before you touched it.

And yes, chances are likely it was due to me :)