Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Excessive Fuel Consumption

B

bushy

Hey all,
im bushy and im 17, i own a 86 Vl, runs well but has a serious problem when it comes to fuel. I've had the car looked at by several machenics and others and have covered such areas as fuel pressurer regulator, air flow meter, thermostat, and all to no provaile in the problem. after spending quite a bit of money this has become quite a frustrating problem. Can anybody give a suggestion to what the problem may be or has anyone had similar experiences with same model as i would be interested to know.
thanks Bushy!!

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
could be one of about 5 things,

1. dirty or leaky injectors

2. leaky fuel line

3. dirty fuel filter

4. realy crappy grade fuel (try a change)

5. people are steeling yoru fuel

thermastat wont affect fuel consumption. totaly different system.

fuel pressure wont affect it. if it's to low it wont start, just starve, if it's to high it wont affect it, injectors are controled by computer, they only squirt in what's needed. air flow meter could affect it, but check the airflow system all over, make srue that there is no holes. and check that all fuel line clamps and screws are done up tightly

cheers
garth

p.s. my injector on no 3 went in a huge way, was leaking fuel, replace the hose, and it stoped consuming so much fuel

B

bushy

thanks for that garth.
Nah man we already tried all thats been mentioned by you here. i did some more research and established a few more factors that contribute to this including;
- ignition timing
- faulty plugs/ plug leads
- carbon canister system

after checking these out to no prevail, im thinking it could even be auto transmission slipping, but just dont know.
after all of these things the next thing will be going back to basics as it is the next logical step.
Do you think it could have anything to do with the catalytic converter?

catch ya bushy!!!