Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Excessive Fuel Consumption

Leenie gal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hi All,
I have just recently purchased a VE SV6 sedan with 121k on the odo. I have owned 2 commodores before (VR and VY) and am shocked by the fuel consumption. Surely 200km out of half a tank can’t be normal. It was serviced just before I purchased it and whilst I Havnt owned a Commodore for some years surely it shouldn’t be this excessive.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Arlene

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
To do a proper fuel usage check you need to top it up to the first click, take note of speedometer reading exactly to the point, then when fuel guage is down to almost empty fill the tank at exactly the same pump to the first click and take note of exactly fuel you have put into the tank, and exactly kilometres driven, then come back to us.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
It’s quite likely the oxygen sensors in the exhaust need replacing if they haven’t been done, bad oxygen sensors cause excessive fuel consumption and don’t always bring on the check engine light
They should be replaced every 5 years

Kingcarl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 series II MY 12.5
Hi All,
I have just recently purchased a VE SV6 sedan with 121k on the odo. I have owned 2 commodores before (VR and VY) and am shocked by the fuel consumption. Surely 200km out of half a tank can’t be normal. It was serviced just before I purchased it and whilst I Havnt owned a Commodore for some years surely it shouldn’t be this excessive.
Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Arlene
It is possible if your driving it hard.
What l/100 is the computer telling you?
These engines can be incredibly economical if driven nicely. The computer at least in mine are very accurate also?

Leenie gal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
To do a proper fuel usage check you need to top it up to the first click, take note of speedometer reading exactly to the point, then when fuel guage is down to almost empty fill the tank at exactly the same pump to the first click and take note of exactly fuel you have put into the tank, and exactly kilometres driven, then come back to us.
Just filled it up today. Computer is saying 490 on range so will be interesting to see if that is true. I put premium in it so will see how it goes.

Leenie gal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
It’s quite likely the oxygen sensors in the exhaust need replacing if they haven’t been done, bad oxygen sensors cause excessive fuel consumption and don’t always bring on the check engine light
They should be replaced every 5 years
Thanks I will definitely keep this in mind ☺️

Leenie gal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
It is possible if your driving it hard.
What l/100 is the computer telling you?
These engines can be incredibly economical if driven nicely. The computer at least in mine are very accurate also?
I’m very conscious of fuel economy and am not driving it hard at all (other than a small short stint on highway to see what it was like).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
How many tanks of premium have you put in so far? It will take 3 - 4 tanks of 95 - 98 before you will get noticeable improvement over 91.

Kingcarl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 series II MY 12.5
Running premium will do sweet FA for your economy. Drive it nice and it will probably settle down.