Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Excessive Fuel Usage

Beno1982

Beno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7L M6 sedan
Hi there,

I have a VX SS and yesterday i drove 187Km and used nearly half a tank of petrol. Now a couple of weeks ago the engine warning light came on, as i work away in the mines i couldn't get it looked at straight away, however when i drove the car back home to get it checked out to see what the problem was they couldn't find any error codes or faults.

Obviously there is a problem if it using nearly half a tank for 187 Km. Wonering if this has happened to anyone else or if anyone can tell me what the problem may be.

I was thinking the oxygen sensors but i would of thought these would come up as an error code.

I appreciate all the support and would like to say thanks in advance.

REDNUT 80

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Evecutive wagon
i drove my vx wagon from brisbane to just past warwick over the christmas period, on the way out it used nearly 3/4 tank of fuel, its about 220km, on the way home it used just over 1/4 of a tank,

i took it to a mechanic and he sugested that i check how clean my airflow meter was, so i pulled it out to gve it a good clean with that mass airflow sensor cleaner from supercheap and i noticed there was like small hairs on the hot wire and a few small seads on the gauze mesh, once i sprays all that stuff off and reinstalled it im using less fuel and more consistnant tanks,

also it seemed to have a little more punch off the line, but could be my imagination

Beno1982

Beno
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7L M6 sedan
I forgot to mention in the initial post that when the car was taken to check for error codes the engine warning light wasn't on and hasn't been now for a few days