Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Excessive fuel usage

Warren Becker

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VL nitron
Afternoon gentlemen, I have a VL nitron with a non turbo rb 30 that is using to much fuel & I can also smell petrol when running, I've looked under the bonnet & found no leaks, but fuel pump is a little loud & running constantly. I was wondering if someone here, had a similar problem, or can point out where to look next?

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Afternoon gentlemen, I have a VL nitron with a non turbo rb 30 that is using to much fuel & I can also smell petrol when running, I've looked under the bonnet & found no leaks, but fuel pump is a little loud & running constantly. I was wondering if someone here, had a similar problem, or can point out where to look next?
The fuel pump needs to run constantly, at times lve herd a pump get noisy with age or at low fuel in the tank. Excessive fuel consumption could possibly be the car running to rich. If you haven't worked on it yourself, best find a reputable mechanic to diagnose the issue. Might be the maf dirty or in need of change as that is the mixture screw in old school terms. How clean is the air filter, that can cause rich mixture also. Put a fuel system treatment in when you fill up that will assist many areas that cause idle/fuel consumption issues.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I doubt it'll be your issue but the last time I experienced a similar problem it turned out to be a leaky fuel tank the vk which had a vl tank in it was using heaps of fuel I could smell fuel it took me 2 months to find it fuel was pissing out by the time of course.

Warren Becker

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VL nitron
I doubt it'll be your issue but the last time I experienced a similar problem it turned out to be a leaky fuel tank the vk which had a vl tank in it was using heaps of fuel I could smell fuel it took me 2 months to find it fuel was pissing out by the time of course.

Warren Becker

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VL nitron
Thanks for the advice, the sender unit was replaced 12? mths ago, so it's going to be worth checking out, unfortunately for me, I appreciate the help