Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Excessive tyre wear - rear outside edge

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I was checking the tyres tonight and measured the thread depth...

Tyres are oem Potenza 275/35/19

Inside and middle on rear tyres is 4.5mm and ouside thread depth 2.5mm.

What would cause this...positive camber ?? I am guessing this is adjustable...

Should i bother now or just do it when i replace the tyres ?

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
As you would know Ron, a wheel alignment won't stop the outer edge wearing out faster and not lasting as long as the rest of the tread. But, it will help to slow it down somewhat. If the rear camber and toe are out, it will be effecting the cars handling too. Definitely worth getting it done now, then rechecked when you replace the tyres.

Last edited:

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
TBH I leave the setting and the detail to my alignment guy, there’s a heap to it and not only has he dedicated room and equipment but experience (in this case ex-speedway champ).
So yeah spend like that is justifiable vs safety and premature wear of (presumably) not cheap tyres, I’d mention it and fix it straight away. Must say I love my car more every time after a pro alignment. :oops:

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
TBH I leave the setting and the detail to my alignment guy, there’s a heap to it and not only has he dedicated room and equipment but experience (in this case ex-speedway champ).
So yeah spend like that is justifiable vs safety and premature wear of (presumably) not cheap tyres, I’d mention it and fix it straight away. Must say I love my car more every time after a pro alignment. :oops:
Agree but really hard to get a good alignment. When my cars have been properly lined up the difference puts a smile on my face. Have sometimes adjusted the toe in my driveway

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV

Camber is fairly noticeable, especially if it's excessively negative or positive .. does it look like you have positive camber on the rear? Otherwise, as I mentioned above, it's likely too much toe in, which scrubs the outer edges as you drive down the road. Ask a wheel aligner to tell you what the current settings are and go from there.

FE2 specs according to the service manual for the rear are:
Camber -0.6 deg (+0.35/-0.45)
Toe +0.2 deg (+- 0.2)

So anything from around -1 to -0.25 degrees camber is "within spec", along with 0.4 to 0 toe in is "within spec".

There is some camber adjustment (if the car is lowered then there is more negative camber), and there is toe adjustment. The aligner should definitely be able to get zero toe or slight toe in without too much hassle. If you have a lot of positive camber, then I'd say you've bent something or hit something fairly hard?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I was checking the tyres tonight and measured the thread depth...

Tyres are oem Potenza 275/35/19

Inside and middle on rear tyres is 4.5mm and ouside thread depth 2.5mm.

Should i bother now or just do it when i replace the tyres ?
Tyres not under inflated are they?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Why is this so ?
I've always been told that once
radials start wearing unevenly, they continue to do so, even if the issue e.g. camber, castor, toe or inflation is corrected. Albeit at a slower rate. In my experience this has held true. Of course the other factor is that, in this case, Ron has 2mm less tread on the outer edges. So, this edge may be worn out when the rest of the tread is still ok.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
My outer edges on the rear of my wagon are always the first to wear, with the outer left rear being especially rapid. 38-40psi, variety of tyres, couple of different fitters. Rears are always rotated once in their life to keep them wearing evenly.