Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

exchanged a standard V6 for a supercharged V6.

voodoo VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Hi guys, I’m a new member to this site, so I’m still working my way around navigating the site. Sorry if I f&*k something up.

I am about to exchanged a standard V6 for a supercharged V6.

I have just picked up a complete wrecking car 99 supercharged V6. Most of the car looks to be in pretty good nick, story is the car slid down a guide rail on the HWY, pretty much buggered the hold drives side. but besides that looks pretty good. Engine gear-box drive chain seem good. So I have all options on changing at this stage.

Plan is to swap engine, box, tale shaft, my VT is an ex-cop car so has LSD diff as is. (and no doubt a nice stead run in period) I think I may have hit a bigger winner with the wreck in the way of enterer. E.g. Power window the cleaner seats (as the fabric has lifted on my seats) leaving those things till the engine swap if complete.
I wouldn’t mind any tips on the swap or any suggestions on things to do to the engine and box before in goes in. I’m planning to run the standard computer and just change the chip over for the supercharger. I’m looking to change the dash cluster to suit the supercharged engine. I believe the cluster will read the wreck VIN number but also match the engine number?
will there be any issuses with the L67 wiring loom coming back to car body and Ecotec comptuer

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Good find. You may as well swap the ECU and chip from the donor car over if you want to maintain the duel speed fuel controller from the super 6. The control module is in the boot on the drivers side well.

The L67 exhaust is a twin cat set up so may as well swap that. Might be easier to leave you ecotec trans in the car if it's in good nic because they are identical except for the converter which has a higher stall speed and size in the super6 and that way you will have a spare trans to either sell for $200ish or keep for exchange or rebuild one day.

You will need the engine loom from the super6 (although you could hack the ecotec loom up and extend some bits to make it work) which is why I suggesyed just using the L67 ECU/Chip as the pinout may be different, not 100% on that.

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot..............slot a cam in the L67 before you fit it to your car. Much easier out of the car and there are a few 2nd hand cams going around these days.

voodoo VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive
Cheers for the info chargedvx6,

Mate could you just explain the ECU to me, I’m guessing its the computer? I was just planning on swapping the chips to save having to get the computer and ignition barrel re configured to one another. Will the super-6 computer still be a better option then just chip swap?
I have seen a box in the boot I haven’t taken much notice of it yet but yeh ill check that out too. Would the wiring be in the Ecotec and just a matter of plugging controller in?

Yeh plan is to set up stock exhaust to start with its got a single muffle from Y peace back, I just put a Redback cat-back on the Ecotec so I’m hoping to change the header’s and run the Redback from the Y section and keep the duel cats. Just looking at the length I would say the Reback will need to be shortened. When I bought it I had the super-6 in mind and the muffler man said I could run a high flow single cat and bolt the Reback to that. But I’m thinking the standard twin cat would be a better flowing system?

Mate I have done a bit of a search for cams for the L67 I couldn’t find anything on the net could you point me in the direction of a good site that may stock them.

also I’m one engine bold short of getting the L67 out ( looks like some peanut have changed the engine mounts and rounded a nut at the same time, will look at cutting it out tomorrow) I noticed there is a small radiator witch seems to be running engine or trans oil then into the side of main radiator and back to motor the Ecotec doesn’t have this but have got the mounting holes in frame so plan is to bold that on and change radiators as well. Would that be the go for L67?

I am hopping the get engine and box out in one peace and wasn’t planning on separating them (my box have a few extra K’s on it and also some slop changing gears) I noticed some oil build up between the two seals is there anything I can do to find out where that may have come from? Both rocker cover seals look like that are probably shot and plan is to change then there is a fair build up in the area I thought the oil may have run down the back, but I’d like to make sure its leak free before I drop the engine in is possible?

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
I'm not sure but I think you need the L67 ECU (comp) to run that fuel pump controller in the boot. That being said I know of a couple of conversions where the fuel cintroller has been omitted and the pump just runs on the higher speed. Keep in mind that the L67 pump is a better unit with higher capacity and a built in swirl pot albeit a small one.

For the exhaust they actually need quite a bit of flow so either a big singl or the stock twin will do until you do some mods.

That little radiator will be the trans cooler. I think you current car will have the mounting brackets in place so swap it in for sure

Yella Terra in Melbourne have a couple of nice cams. Intense-racing and zzperformance in the states are also cam suppliers.

Tighe and crow also have some grinds here in AUS

hth

bhopper

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt spac supercharged 6,vp bt1 5.0,vyss lshulk
Hey there with the ecu you can either swap the chip or if your guna do the electric windows etc you will have to swap the the bcm as yours will be a low bcm and you need a med bcm for electric windows so i would swap the bcm,ecu and keyhead out of wreck and your window will work with out bypassing the drivers windows and with the fuel controller in boot i think you will have to swap the loom that runs from the drivers side kick panel all the way to the rear of car as im pretty shore the standard loom dont have the wiring for fuel controller. you will have to also swap the engine loom over aswell as they are different to the stock engine. So i would swap the bcm and ecu from the wreck and you will have to swap your key head over to your key but remember you have to keep the bcm,ecu and keys from the same car as they are all linked . You need any advive when you do it let me know.

bhopper

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt spac supercharged 6,vp bt1 5.0,vyss lshulk
Hi again with the ecu they are the same as the standard v6 its just the chip that changes as the tune is different so as i said before if your gune do electric windows swap the ecu,bcm and keyhead over and you wont have to get anything link but if you just wanted to get it running for now just swap the chip over into your ecu and it should be fine just remember the bcm,ecu and keys are linked so if you swap ecu from wreck you will have to swap bcm and keyhead.