Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exchanging ecu

JBAV6Tony

Reaction score
Members Ride
JBA kit car V6 series 1
I've purchased another ecu for my Kitcar manual trans vn v6 power.

Is there anything I need to know when replacing it? I've assumed it's a case of disconnect battery, replace and reconnect battery.
Tony

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
vn/p ecu should all be same only real difference is memcals have heaps of revisions/changes so if you were happy with how car drove before swap memcal over.

Personally tried about 5-6 of the different vn/p memcals even sv3800 version...thought they were shite compared to custom tune I got from pcmhacking peep.Didn't make car faster just way nicer road manners & improved economy.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
And check that you get code 12 on the ALDL when you've finished.

JBAV6Tony

Reaction score
Members Ride
JBA kit car V6 series 1
Thanks guys. Had car 4 years and always had an intermittent cut out fault. Replaced all sensors, fuel pump etc so that's reason for swap. Cheers

JBAV6Tony

Reaction score
Members Ride
JBA kit car V6 series 1
20191228_004731_IMG_0105.JPG

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yep always check for fault codes first up...saves a lot of time.

On vn/p looms better off hooking up switch that's earthed out to put ecu into fault mode so you don't need bridge wires or contortion yourself to get to the plug.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Thanks guys. Had car 4 years and always had an intermittent cut out fault. Replaced all sensors, fuel pump etc so that's reason for swap. Cheers
You did move down to the beach as you mentioned last time?
If you can still read the ALDL fault codes with your current engine installation they may give you a clue on what's causing your engine to cut out.

JBAV6Tony

Reaction score
Members Ride
JBA kit car V6 series 1
you have a good memory Mike. Yes we moved to Camperdown Vic. There arent any fault codes. However, I replaced the ECU this morning and immediately there was notable changes.

- easier start up
- that sucking noise commonly described by owners (that air bypass unit sorry cant recall the right name- IAC?) no longer comes on when motor is at normal running temp. Also it when cold it settles down to normal idle revs quicker.
- acceleration is remarkably faster.
- idle is far smoother. In fact after 4 years I didnt know a v6 could be so smooth.

So there is lots of queries in my mind. Was it an ECU fuel management issue? Is the electric fuel pump faulty (intermittent) because when the engine would cut out on a long drive through the Otways once I rolled to a stop I'd start the engine and it would run great.

All sensors in the car have been renewed including Dwell sensor that also had an improvement on engine performance. Fuel reg, temp senders, etc
Thats all. Thanks again
Tony

Attachments

• front van view.jpg
    front van view.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 2001-jba-falcon-tourer-22.jpg
    2001-jba-falcon-tourer-22.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 154

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Might just have been something faulty in ecu...afaik some changes in auto to manual memcal to allow for deceleration etc.

Basically have to find what makes car stall repeatedly to slowly track the issue...sometimes you just fluke it especially now that parts are old,unknown history or accidently done something by pulling it apart.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
you have a good memory Mike. Yes we moved to Camperdown Vic. There arent any fault codes. However, I replaced the ECU this morning and immediately there was notable changes.

- easier start up
- that sucking noise commonly described by owners (that air bypass unit sorry cant recall the right name- IAC?) no longer comes on when motor is at normal running temp. Also it when cold it settles down to normal idle revs quicker.
- acceleration is remarkably faster.
- idle is far smoother. In fact after 4 years I didnt know a v6 could be so smooth.

So there is lots of queries in my mind. Was it an ECU fuel management issue? Is the electric fuel pump faulty (intermittent) because when the engine would cut out on a long drive through the Otways once I rolled to a stop I'd start the engine and it would run great.

All sensors in the car have been renewed including Dwell sensor that also had an improvement on engine performance. Fuel reg, temp senders, etc
Thats all. Thanks again
Tony
More pics please. Interior?