Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust Bypass on a VZ Ute

commodorian1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
I've got a bit of a dilemma. I've got a VZ S Ute with the stock exhaust system and I'm wanting to put a bypass on it.
I want to put on a stock SS system from another ute on it just so I can have a bit of a better note when I'm driving around town etc. then put a bypass on the stock SS system so I can open it up and let it rip.

The problem is that on the stock SS system, its a twin pipe so does that mean I'd need 2 cutoffs? or can I put a bypass on just one of the sides and it'll still sound really loud? Is the stock V6 exhaust just one pipe so I'd only need one bypass?

Here's the video of a VY S Ute with a bypass VY S - exhaust bypass. - YouTube. Sounds pretty good I reckon

And for the record, I'm planning on getting a BadlanzHPE Electric Exhaust Cutout.

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
yes you should have 2 cut outs, but they are bloody expensive, it wouldnt really hurt your car for short amounts of time. not really recomended though. cause the to banks of cylinder would be running at different pressures causing an unbalance

why dont you just get a quite single exhaust?? you have got to do some cutting and welding to get the cut outs to work. why not just get a quite free flowing exhasut whilst your getting the cut out valve done??

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
The bypass valves I have seen are $400 on eBay.

All I did is put a short straight through muffler in the mid section, and another small round muffler in the rear attached by a flange. Then have a second pipe that you can attach without a muffler.

With the small muffler on it changes the ranges of drone, and it doesn't open up at 3000rpm, it stays constant through the range. Gives me the opportunity to rev it out, otherwise its stupid loud.

commodorian1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Well the only reason i was looking at getting an SS exhaust is because there pretty cheap to pick up and it gives a good quiet note but your right about it getting expensive with the 2 cutoffs.

The cheapest catback for a VZ ute i can find is about $300 then a single cutoff is $200, while the SS exhaust is about $70 and double cutoffs are about $370. So all up the price difference is only about $30. I don't think I'll just have one cutoff on a twin system, probably not a good idea

Does anyone know if I should go with Badlanz HPE or QPE cutoffs? I've heard that Badlanz HPE ones wear out pretty quick but they do offer a 5 year warranty and there pretty easy to get off eBay. Havn't heard much about QPE ones. Actually, I havn't really heard of many people having cutoffs at all really.

commodorian1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
Ah right. I though that'd be a good sound. I'm just looking for it to be really really loud. I'm not too fussed about the 'quality' of the noise. Have you still got them on your ute now?

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
Ah right. I though that'd be a good sound. I'm just looking for it to be really really loud. I'm not too fussed about the 'quality' of the noise. Have you still got them on your ute now?

Well go outside and unbolt your exhaust and do a lap of the main street - no one will think it sounds good.
I don't have them on this ute - I'm cruising around with no rear mufflers till the weekend and even that also sounds like arse.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Also have fun when you get defected and your car get's taken off the road.