Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust causing engine warning light.

Jaz11

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Ute
Hi all. I need help. I will keep it short...

For almost 12 months on and off I've been dealing with my exhaust throwing an error code and causing an engine warning light. I've had it into Holden who have replaced multiple O2 sensors but eventually found out some fuel has got into my cat and caused irreversible damage on the filter. While nothing serious once sealed the minor damage is done & that's what's causeing the code. I've had an exhaust shop seal where the fuel came threw so it won't deteriorate more.

How can I stop this error and engine warning light? Can they be turned off? I don't want to buy $2000 new cats just to stop it...

when I get the computer reset I might get 2 weeks before the error appears again or I might get 2 months+....very annoying. Help!

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
It's not 2 grand for cats. Surely you could pick up second hand ones for bugger all?

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec
Replace the cats. My mate that owns an exhaust shop(Perth) throws std cats in the bin. Can you get to an exhaust shop to get some s/hand ones, or quote up aftermarket entry level performance ones.
If you turn the warning lights off or whatever, its just a band aid job...dodgy stuff not good.
Try asking round on this site if any one has some or even Gumtree.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
how do u get that much fuel in the exhaust to damage the cats cos to make it thru the combustion and hot exhaust to the cats and damage them must be a lot of fuel, is it the front sensors or rear they are replacing..?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if it's just the rears with the issue a lot of people just get them turned off because they are there for emissions and the exhaust makes it too far out of its parameters causing a code...

bradizle

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN CALAIS
Hi mate sureflo exhaust in ingleburn(NSW). Does a thing called "cheater tubes" they are 75 each and what they do is they mimmick what a cat does... Because your cat is damaged and throwing the code (just like highflow cats will). This is your best option. Give them a ring they will ship to you . Weld them in the cat (on the side) and your error code will be gone. It tricks the computer to think you have a cat, Well it is a cat ( where its just a mini cat pretty much except its only half an inch long lol ). :)

Cheers

Jaz11

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 Ute
I have an after market exhuast with extractors and performance cats, thats why it would be expensive to get new cats, going back to stock would be cheaper but yehhhhhh nah. what if i just got the sensors removed? Im going off what holden and the exhaust shop has told me and im far from an expert....The amount of time and money ive thrown at this problem is ridiculous. i dont care if the problem isnt fixed anymore, i just want the warning light to piss off for good...

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
Hi mate sureflo exhaust in ingleburn(NSW). Does a thing called "cheater tubes" they are 75 each and what they do is they mimmick what a cat does... Because your cat is damaged and throwing the code (just like highflow cats will). This is your best option. Give them a ring they will ship to you . Weld them in the cat (on the side) and your error code will be gone. It tricks the computer to think you have a cat, Well it is a cat ( where its just a mini cat pretty much except its only half an inch long lol ). :)

Cheers

I've seen these they just screw in to the cat where the O2 sensor is and the O2 sensor into that all fixed (the ones I have seen) use them on V8's and V6's if people have changed the exhaust etc

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Has it been tuned for the exhaust?