Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

exhaust clunk

M

Mitcho

hey all, i got a 90 vn exec and whenever i go over a bump i hear a loud, low clunk come from the back of the car. at first i thought the spare tyre may have been loose, but now im convinced its the exhaust hitting something underneath. its worse when theres ppl in the backseat too. i havent got a clue how to fix it, so any ideas from anyone with this problem would be great.

Cheers, Mitcho.

bad benny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive
Just pull up and down on exhaust near rear of car, you will know if theres and exhaust hanger gone. Not hard to replace at all. You will also be able to see a broken exhaust mount (rubber blocks).

Otherwise it could be flogged trailing arm rubbers. These are harder to replace, but not a really big job.

Good Luck

Bad Benny

M

Mitcho

yeah the hangers are all good, ill have a look at the rubbers. thanks bud.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Can you see the exhaust hard pressed against anything underneath the car?

Mine was fairly close to the floor pan, must have found a speed bump that bumped it up a while back and pressed it extremely close to the a bit that was holding the tailshaft in place.

So when I had to work on the tailshaft I had to move it out of place, which then left enough room for it to bounce and clunk onto the floor.

So yeah, when your cars cold, get under it and have a fiddle, don't be gentle.

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Could have dead shockys at the back as you say its worse when ppl are in the back id have them checked

Mark

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
ye check for breaks on the exhuast mounts, make sure its not ur exhuast hitting the floor, then just lower trailing arm bushes, then uppers, just inspect for wear, then go to ur shockies

bad benny

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive
Yeah, come to think of it mine made a bad knock over bumps when the rubber in the end of 1 shock had flogged out.

Bad Benny

M

Mitcho

thanks guys, ill get under and and have a look first thing tomorro.

Nos_VQ

Hot Rod Metal Fabricator
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VH wagon, 54 Plymouth
Also theres a small rubber bump stop at the rear near the tail pipe section. Sometimes that little rubber bumper can come loose and fall out all together causing the tailpipe section to bang up against the body.

Sorry for the quick and dirty photoshop picture, but it may give you an idea.

Attachments

• exhaust bumper.jpg
    exhaust bumper.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 181
M

Mitcho

i found the small rubber block, but is the exhaust meant to be held up against it by the rubber loops? mines not, and when i shake and rattle it thats the only thing i can see that hits and makes a noise.