Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust and Cold Air Induction

57chevvy

57chevvy
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE 6.0 Litre SS Commodore
VE 6.0 SS. I want to put cold air on it as well as a full performance exhaust.
This is all new to me so need HELP. I have been told that the otr is the better than the growler but otr gets more heat through the front end. I'm not chasing big horsepower just better running.
And exhaust. do i go 2.5 or 3.0 inch system. i want to put extractors and full system on board. i have phoned that many places in Perth and got different feedback on systems i'm not sure which way to go.
Can someone help out and tell me more and places to look for.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Hey Richard.
There are two types of growler - a replacement air box (don't bother) and an otr-ish version which is basically two pod filters in a box, connected to the throttle body by a y pipe. For the money you'd spend on either, you can get a good OTR, which will out perform a growler every day.

With the exhaust, it's up to you, depending on what sort of performance/sound you want and how much you have to spend. Personally (and some will disagree) I think it's better to be safe than sorry, so plan for an exhaust as if you were planning on other mods - just incase you want to later - will save buying the same thing twice. I'll be fitting 1 3/4 inch extractors (for me 1 7/8 might be overkill) with high-flow cats and a dual 3 inch exhaust to mine. I don't plan to go more than adding a VCM OTR and a tune but who knows down the track. Plus, a set up like that will give you a nice, deep rumble. If you prefer a V8 to have a sharper bark to it, then go for a 2.5inch. With minor mods like this, a 2.5 will flow fine, but much more (like a cam) and you'll find it starts getting restrictive.

Go to a good, experienced performance work shop and have a chat with them - even have a listen to other systems they've installed. Tell them exactly what you want and they'll be able to point you in the right direction. Your SS will run A LOT better with a good air intake, exhaust and a tune.

Last edited:

Homer's HSV

Homer Simpson
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE E3 Clubsport
In my opinion you cant go past a VCM otr and a VCM catback i had an airhammer cai and another catback but then decided to do the VCM cai and VCM 2.5 catback and very happy i have done a tune and car runs better then ever although i did get pulled over cause in Vic not allowed to have oiled filters so i found a paper one in case i need to change it in the future but still worked well with the paper filter in side.
Good luck

57chevvy

57chevvy
Reaction score
Members Ride
otr and exhaust

Thanks heaps guys for your info.
Theres to many people telling me stuff and i just going mad trying to decide. lol.
VCM what does that stand for or is this just the make, and do you know who in Perth would deal in these. What other brand of Cold Air Induction would you reccommend for me to look at???
I have heard that the Growler air box replacement is bad and then some say its great, so i appreciate your thoughts on that.
And with the OTR u must get a Maffless tune hey.
As for the Exhaust well where do i start, i hear heaps of cars and they all sound great, so yeah i will check out a few places and go and have a listen to them and then decide.
Thanks again for your help. Richard

Mcbain

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
For my 20 cents worth...

I was unsure about CAI and did a fair bit of research on internet, but in the end was still unsure as there are so many options.

After weighing everything up, I went with a Roto-Fab CAI system from the US. It is designed for the Pontiac G8 over there (which is identical to the Holden VE in the important parts).

I installed it on Saturday and am really happy with the result. The sound improvement was amazing, and I believe there was some performance improvement - although it's hard to quantify without a dyno. It seems to break traction a little now in first gear (after clutch is fully engaged) and it never used to.

If you are interested, google it and you'll be looking at about $410 AUS delivered. You can install yourself as the instructions are very detailed.

Good luck with your decision.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
You won't need a tune with that intake or similar (like air hammer or growler replacement air box), mainly because the increase in airflow is marginal and the ECU can cope with the change. They do give out a nice induction sound, but performance-wise, not so much. To get a real gain from an intake, you'll need some kind of OTR and a tune.

57chevvy

57chevvy
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that TinSnips, much appreciate your info. So now i will have to go searching in Perth for this stuff.
Cheers all.