Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust/Extractors/CATS - Questions!

Daniels-VY

Sideways?
Reaction score
Members Ride
Quicksilver SSV Ute
Hey all, Ive got a few questions in regards to the exhaust on my 03 VY SS Ute

Currently its stock apart from a 2.5" cat back exhaust

My mate has just told me he can get me pacemaker extractors at cost price (im a poor uni student)
so my questions are:

1) Can i install the extractors without changing the cat back (even if it involves getting flanges welded in ect?)

2) Can i change the mufflers in the cat back without changing the cat back itself?

3) If so what mufflers are good? :) (loud and deep)

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Whatever suits you, for something nice and loud just delete the centre mufflers.

Daniels-VY

Sideways?
Reaction score
Members Ride
Quicksilver SSV Ute
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Whatever suits you, for something nice and loud just delete the centre mufflers.

Thats exactly what i wanted to hear, thanks :D

now my follow up question to answer 3 is that with my catback it only has the center muffler :(
(i know most have the center mufflers and the one near the tip but mines just got the 1 set in the center)

So im thinking of deleting it anyway and replacing it with hotdogs, thoughts?

C4L4IS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR '93 Calais
Thats exactly what i wanted to hear, thanks :D

now my follow up question to answer 3 is that with my catback it only has the center muffler :(
(i know most have the center mufflers and the one near the tip but mines just got the 1 set in the center)

So im thinking of deleting it anyway and replacing it with hotdogs, thoughts?

I run twin cats and a single resonator and it has a deep sound and no drone. If you were to change yours, i believe a hotdog would be louder but i doubt you need the cop attention being a unit student.

Daniels-VY

Sideways?
Reaction score
Members Ride
Quicksilver SSV Ute
I run twin cats and a single resonator and it has a deep sound and no drone. If you were to change yours, i believe a hotdog would be louder but i doubt you need the cop attention being a unit student.

definitely dont need cop attention your right there haha.

what brand resonator do you have?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
When you say you can get Pacemakers at "cost price" do you know what that price is? I can do a set of 4-1 tuned length Hurricanes for $690. Pacemakers are dearer.

You have a catback without a rear resonator now and it's too quiet? Extractors will change that. What brand of exhaust is it now do you know? Do the pipes come together just behind the cats into what looks like an X?

Daniels-VY

Sideways?
Reaction score
Members Ride
Quicksilver SSV Ute
When you say you can get Pacemakers at "cost price" do you know what that price is? I can do a set of 4-1 tuned length Hurricanes for $690. Pacemakers are dearer.

You have a catback without a rear resonator now and it's too quiet? Extractors will change that. What brand of exhaust is it now do you know? Do the pipes come together just behind the cats into what looks like an X?

My mate thinks around $600 but he's checking for me.

Yep thats exactly right, it comes from the cats, goes into the x shape thing then into the mufflers. and then straight to the tips after the mufflers, (no resinator)

So extractors change the sound volume?

Also i'm not sure on what brand :/ nothing well known that for sure, it was cheap.