Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Buick] Exhaust for turbo setup

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Planning a turbo for my 3800 shortly, I have a rebuilt VR motor going into the car beforehand and will run probably around 8psi through that.

Currently I've got a 2.5" system with no rear resonator, however because it's a V6 it sounds gay. I've got the option at the moment to swap it for an identical system WITH a rear resonator, which would muffle the gayness somewhat, but would it be too much of a restriction for the turbo setup? Do I need to be looking into a 3in turbo-back system? Please tell me that if I can't have it muffled down the turbo will at least help it sound less gay..

Sam

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
you should run at least a 3inch system for a turbo. Though you could get away with a 2.5 depends on how boost boost power you want

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
For starters I'll use the 2.5in I think, if I get the turbo setup all sorted then I'll switch to a 3in maybe and see what difference there is

Main thing for now I guess is that it'd be a stupid idea to put a resonator on my current setup if I'm planning to use that for the turbo as well... right?

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
yeah it would be i think the turbo might actually cut down on the drone

Post Vintage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Manual
Turbo definately does... how you think RB25's are running around with 4" exhausts and minimal drone. You should be able to run turbo with hi-flow cat 3" exhaust large single good quality muffler and it would sound nice until you open it up.

Matt_vp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy lumina v6 A4
the turbo does drown out the drone i still have stock zorst without resinator and mine doesn't drone.
Matt

cracker

Reaction score
iv got a 3" on mine two cats its very quite, you cant hear the exhuast over the turbo, my vl runs a simular system and u its got bugger all exhuast note