Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust/heat insulation

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
I'm in the process of doing a little work on my car (vx ss commodore). The floor on the drivers side was getting fairly hot before these (current) upgrades with 100 cell cats, cammed etc.
So while the engine is out I was going to wrap the exhaust but googling it, it seems that it can promote the headers to rust. The rest back is stainless.
But I also was looking at the stick on heat shielding that I can stick to the floor pan.
I've decided to skip the exhaust wrap and just go with the shielding on the floor (mainly above the cats) but was hoping to get some feedback from anyone here that has done any of this. Work or not work?

Thanks. Chuck.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
wrong thread...

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I'm in the process of doing a little work on my car (vx ss commodore). The floor on the drivers side was getting fairly hot before these (current) upgrades with 100 cell cats, cammed etc.
So while the engine is out I was going to wrap the exhaust but googling it, it seems that it can promote the headers to rust. The rest back is stainless.
But I also was looking at the stick on heat shielding that I can stick to the floor pan.
I've decided to skip the exhaust wrap and just go with the shielding on the floor (mainly above the cats) but was hoping to get some feedback from anyone here that has done any of this. Work or not work?

Thanks. Chuck.

I'm in the same boat as you. My plan is to rip off the headers and get them ceramic coated. This cuts huge heat. Then I'll wrap the cat section. I've already replaced the heat material on the bottom of the car (above the cats) which has helped a lot but can only do so much. Lastly I'm replacing the insulation under the carpet and up the firewall

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Ive used therotec mat with good success
20201221_120119.thumb.jpg.87130f16b61c5f4b94db8116030173bd.jpg

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Get headers ceramic coated then wrap them in something like titanium wrap....works well on turbo v8's with huge underbonnet temps.

Coating doesn't cut as much heat as the wrap but it will preserve the metal & appearance way better to last years longer than without...apparently headers are fine to be just wrapped.

Wrap up to cats...that way when thermofans come on won't feel as much heat from underneath car to window sill.

I used old fibreglass wrap on really old set of extractors when my gtr had wild triple webbered 202 that melted wiring etc...worked awsome for 6-7 years untill put efi v8 in it....punched hole straight through primary pipe with screwdriver but still lasted much longer than expected for very old extractors.