Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust manifold (Smoke coming out the gasket)

MartyK

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VT
I could be wrong here. I jacked up the car to get a good look underneath but was blocked by loads of other components which restricted me from being able to see clearly.

It seems that where the exhaust is bolted into the engine a lot of smoke is coming out. Makes me think maybe a gasket problem?

I have tried to tighten the inner nut and outer nut as tight as I can which has made no different. think it is leaking a little oil as it is quite moist round the edges... lol.

Thought I would ask you guys as you will no doubt know what you are talking about.

How easy a job is this to do by myself? Am I correct it would need some replacement parts and if so, what parts and what would be the procedure of replacing those parts?

I have attached some images and a video to this post to give you an indication as to what I am talking about.

SqYH9LL.jpg

Video here: https://www.sendspace.com/file/tu2m3r

You should be able to see the smoke on the video.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
That smoke is caused by oil leaking from your rocker cover gasket & rocker cover bolt seals getting onto the exhaust.
Basically the engine oil is just getting past the gasket and it's running down onto the exhaust manifold causing the smoke you are seeing.
You just need to replace the rocker cover gasket, but it's a good idea to do both sides at the same time....Because if one side is leaking now, it won't be long before the other side starts to leak as well

I'm not trying to take a shot at you, but if you're asking:
Is this is an easy job....Will I need any parts & what are they....How do I go about replacing the parts
I suggest you take it to a mechanic and get it fixed, or a better idea is to get a mate or family member who's mechanically minded to help you do it while you have a couple of coldies:)

Last edited:

MartyK

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VT
Hi Matt

Thank you very much for the swift reply.

Yes I think it is best let my Dad take over as he is very familiar with it all and is a motorbike mechanic.

Since your message I have made it 10 times worse... I went under the car and tried to tighten the inner nut which has caused it to snap leaving the bolt inside the engine. I am thinking it will probably need one of those drills to drill the bolt out the engine.

Think it is probably best i do now take it to a mechanic.

Do you have any idea roughly how much a mechanic would charge to undo the damage I have done and install the new rocket cover gasket?

Thanks for your help Matt

Mart.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Sorry to hear about your little mishap.... But yeah, it's probably best if you just leave it up to your Dad now.
The nuts you were trying to tighten have nothing to do with the oil leak....Their only there to hold the exhaust manifold onto the engine.

To replace the rocker cover gaskets shouldn't be any more than an hours labour plus the cost of parts
To repair the broken exhaust manifold stud....Depending on where exactly the old stud snapped off will determine how hard it is to remove and replace with a new stud

MartyK

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VT
Hi Matt

Yes, unfortunately the stud that snapped off the exhaust was the most difficult one to get to.. or at least certainly from the top of the engine but going under the engine was from where i tightened it but i used axel stands so as you can imagine there was very little space to be able to use the spanner properly which is gonna make it a pig to be able to drill the bolt out.

Probably best left in the hands of mechanic because he will be able to bring the car up on the hoist which should give him hopefully the clearance he needs to get the bolt out.

Very limited with decent equipment here at home.

Send you a video of what I am talking about. Hope it is clear enough. If you were looking at the engine from the front of the car its the furthest stud and lower one. So very difficult to reach from either side of the car.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
From the video I can see that the stud has snapped off just behind the nut. You can (sort of) consider this a bit of a bonus as there will still be some length of the stud sticking out of the head. If that stud had snapped off flush with the head it would be a whole different kettle of fish and it could quickly turn into a real expensive sh#t fight of a job to remove it.
Once the exhaust manifold is removed and out of the way, the mechanic will be able to remove the broken stud with a Stud Extractor ….Even a pair of vice grips may be able to get hold of it and wind it out.
Going on what I can see and from my own experience, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to get that stud out.

MartyK

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VT
Hey!

Oh good thats comforting to know then that it hasnt sheared it off flush with the engine.

I will def get a mechanic to use the vice grips rather than me lol

Appreciate your help on this matter Matt. You have given me a good idea of what the problem is now.

Enjoy the weekend

Mart.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Not really adding anything, just agreeing with what Matt has said.