Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust Manifolds

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Just wondering if anyone else has problems with the exhaust manifolds cracking on v6 for the back cylinder on the left hand side.
This is my second one and its going again.

G

grover

yeah mate,i believe it is ultra common.when i brought my vr a mate and i were checking under the bonnet and it was the first thing he checked.yeah mate i thought there would be something funny going on if that wasnt cracked,were the words he used.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Extractors the only way around it?

G

grover

probably.havent taken that much notice of the standard manifolds.i think they are steel not cast iron.you could probably grind out the crack weld it up grind the weld flush and put a plate over the weld and weld the plate should take the stress off the area that cracks.my vehicle isnt here at the moment so i cant check but ithink they are steel.you would need to weld it while it was bolted to your head or a spare one lying around would be a better option.that sort of stuff has a tendecy not to bolt back up once welded.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
It happens a lot with the standard manifolds.
You have a few options:- you'll love them!
1) don't drive the engine past 4,000 esp when the engine hasn't been running for long
2) swap with headers *(cheaper option)
3) swap with extractors.

They can be used until the crack is so big you begin to lose backpressure, then you should swap them.

Last edited:
T

troy5.7

i found when my exhaust manifold was cracked i had bad fuel economy. extractors fixed it

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Not sure where you are but up here in sunny Queensland we have the Personal Trading Post (I believe most states have one) in there in this weeks edition is an ad for Vn/p/r exhaust manifolds for $125 each (and rodeo ones) with extra webing to stop the cracking.

Now I have nothing to do with this guy but hay tell him to send me some royalties for the business PLEASE (I need the money LOL ).

His email is [email protected] (well at least I think its an email)

His Phone number / fax number is (07) 41221636

Its all in the personal trading post so I suppose I can type it here. too bad if not.

Hope this helps Regards Guy

P.S. dont forget to get him to send me some money my bank accound details are BSB #............................................................

G

grover

QUOTE (grover @ Jan 15 2004, 09:17 PM) probably.havent taken that much notice of the standard manifolds.i think they are steel not cast iron.you could probably grind out the crack weld it up grind the weld flush and put a plate over the weld and weld the plate should take the stress off the area that cracks.my vehicle isnt here at the moment so i cant check but ithink they are steel.you would need to weld it while it was bolted to your head or a spare one lying around would be a better option.that sort of stuff has a tendecy not to bolt back up once welded.
must have been dreaming-mine are cast