Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exhaust modifications but staying under DB noise limit

Ice2045

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Commodore SS Z Series
Bit of a hassle typing this on the phone.

Hi guys, I dont know if this has been asked before or is it the right place but I just wanted to ask if there are any custom exhausts, be it just the muffler/resonator delete or the full system, that can stay under 95db as per NZTA noise law thingy. Allgoods if there isnt any apart from the Varex. Thanks in advance

I own a 2011 VE Commy SV6 Series 2 Sedan.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
My VE SS has hsv headers decat pipes, and a full twin 3 inch x force exhaust and it’s not overly loud but enough to be noticeable and have no issues passing wof’s or hassle from the cops could be louder in my opinion... I’m in NZ also mate

Ice2045

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Commodore SS Z Series
My VE SS has hsv headers decat pipes, and a full twin 3 inch x force exhaust and it’s not overly loud but enough to be noticeable and have no issues passing wof’s or hassle from the cops could be louder in my opinion... I’m in NZ also mate
Thanks for the response. I've never done a WoF myself before, as my parents used to do it for me so it'll be my first next year. Do you know how they perform the noise testing? (Just revving the car, etc) Alg if not.

Using SS or HSV parts was one of my plans which should be compatible with SV6? How much did the modifications cost you?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Not sure on the exact procedure they use but they don’t do noise tests when u take your car for a warrant check, if your car was loud they’d note it on the warrant sheet and or possibly fail it but it’s highly unlikely you’ll have any issues if your just doing a mild upgrade over stock especially if your just going to use factory ss or hsv parts as for my mods the headers I bought off trade me for $150 the decat pipes cost about $450 from memory and the xforce system was about $1600 being stainless they are a bit more pricey and yes ss or hsv catback exhaust will be a straight fit to your sv6 the headers or cats no obviously due to being a from a v8 engine